Juvie Won't eat much..stressed out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright I know these sort of threads are a dime a dozen, and I apologize for adding to the amount, but the ones I peeked at didn't quite have enough information for me to be satisfied, so here we are xD

Ok, so long story short (says everyone before a long story). My lil guy has been on a steady diet of dubias and veggies (mainly butternut squash, red cabbage, collard greens, mustard greens) since he came home around 3 months ago. Im not sure his exact age, but I'd put him about 5 months old (got him from Petco..yes I know I apologize and I will never be going back). Now, usually he loves his dubias and would attack the little bowl Id throw them in, eating around 40-50 "small" dubias in one go, 2 times a day.

Lately, his appetite has been nonexistent. I think I made a big mistake.

Recently he finally reached 16" long, so to celebrate I picked him up some superworms. It goes without saying that he absolutely LOVED them. I was also in between feeders (dubia colony is still not quite established properly) so I just fed him the supers until my next feeder batch came in. I had decided to order Orange Head roaches because 1. there was a sale and 2. I hear they are so much better than dubias to raise and they are also meatier. Got the roaches and dusted em up for him...and he wouldn't touch them. Not a single one all day. But when I dropped a single superworm in the dish...BAM he was on it like white on rice. So for the past several days, I think its past a week now, he hasnt hardly touched his orange heads. Once or twice he has gone after a few, and he seems to like them, but he needs some hardcore stimulation to even bother (such as me nudging the roaches to make em move, or placing a juicy one right under his nose) but even then he hardly seems to care. Won't touch dubia, either. He has, however, been eating his veggies like a champ, mostly. I feed him squash almost every day, with cabbage/collard greens in the middle or a mixture. I'm sort of stuck because I do not want to feed him supers as a staple due to the high fat content and chitin...and I know these roaches are good for him.

Here's some more info for you guys to get a better idea:

230 Grams
16 inches
Male

Lighting: T8 Reptisun 24" 8~ inches from basking spot
200 W clear bulb (set to mid) for basking bulb
75W CHE to keep temps up

40b Tank
102-109 in basking area
83 on cool side

Lighting schedule: Lights on at 8am, off at 10pm

Feeding schedule: 1: Roaches, dusted (as much as he will eat) between 12-2pm with dish of fresh veggies
2: Roaches, dusted(as much as he will eat)

I will admit that the past few weeks I also havent been as consistent with his feeding schedule as I used to be (i used to strictly feed him at 11am, 3pm and 7pm).

Any ideas guys? Im starting to worry because I figured this would have passed by now..he has had spells before when a change occurred (such as moving tanks) but he hasnt budged much. He is still very young and Im worried he isnt getting enough protein. Today he only ate 2 large roaches and a bite of squash.

Thanks guys!

Mysty

Juvie Member
The only thing I can suggest is to withhold all supers until he is eating more roaches. From then, you can give up to 5 supers a week should you wish, but may be best to reserve as an occasional treat if he continues to try and hold out for supers.

Just don't give in to him, 'cause otherwise he'll keep holding out for supers.

Also now he's a juvenile the live food will gradually reduce, so don't panic if he goes a few days picking at the roaches.

travisgould

Original Poster
Thanks for replying. I agree that i shouldnt give in but he didnt eat all day for like 2 days and he was freaking me out xD lil booger.

Update: He finally ate some roaches during each live offering, so that made me happy. I am setting him back on a rigid timeline of noon live feed and 7 live feed, with veggies available all day. Here's hoping that he gets enough protein..he has been adding about 20-30 grams a week and I want to keep that up :p

travisgould

Original Poster
Still having difficulties with him...he only ate 2 medium sized orange heads today and simply would not touch anymore..even during his second live feeding hours later. Tried to feed him Dubia instead and still a no go..He hasnt lost any weight (in fact hes gaining) but its really worrying me because he used to throw em back like no ones business...but ever since I introduced superworms he has been almost completely uninterested in food. Some days he will dig in (for one feeding...) but other days like today its just barely anything. Still eating his collard greens and squash though...

Im at a loss now. I am going to order him some BSFL in a couple weeks, and take him to the vet for a wellness check around the same time...but any ideas or help would be great. This is worrying because doesnt he need his protein? He is only 5-6 months old

Hes up to 270 grams now...i forget what he was before, i posted it above

Mysty

Juvie Member
When you said juvenile, I thought you were talking about a dragon around 12 months when they should transition to less live, more greens.

As he is much younger, I would suggest a feacal test before the vets, especially as he is still gaining weight and alert etc. If there is a parasite problem you can then call the vet with the results and pick up meds so its a single journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom