How much does your beardie eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubah

I'm still new, but from what I read they should be eating a lot more than mine does. Usually 20-30 small crickets lasts me a whole week, is this something I should be concerned about? I put in some cabbage and carrots daily, and give her some grapes every once in a while, she rarely eats any of it. Mine is at least 4 months old, my wife got it for me for my birthday on March the 5th. But she hasn't grown at all in the 2 months I've had her, not sure if I should be concerned or not.

Stres

Hatchling Member
In far from experienced but I'd be concerned if it eats so little at that age, mine was eating around 30-40 calci worms and around the same amount of crickets per day at around the same age.

Here he is at 3 months old
89302-5547325648.jpg

He's now around 10 months old
89302-407227306.jpg

The weight gain and size is massively different in that time.

If you can give a full run down of your setup it might help the more experienced keepers help to rule out any husbandry issues that could be effecting it's appetite.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
A 4mo old beardie should be eating that week supply within a day, so there may be something wrong with your husbandry.
How hot does the basking temp get? A 4month old dragon needs a basking temp between 105F-110F
What kind of UVB light are you using? Coil or compact bulbs provide very little UVB and do not have a far range, meaning if your dragon is more than 4" from this light, she's not getting enough.

If you have a coil/compact, I'd recommend switching to a tube UVB light as soon as you can, preferably a T5 bulb. This would require a T5 fixture.
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-d3-t-5-22-inch-24-watt-12-desert-uvb-the-original-reptile-ho-t5-in-north-america/
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=25696

Both of these will play a big role on their appetite, and they need to eat to grow which may be why she hasn't gotten too much bigger.

My boy was eating about 50+ crickets a day around that age, or at least about 20 per feeding session. I also coupled this with calci-worms (phoenix worms, BSFL) and he'd eat about 20 of those per feeding session, too. If you feed dubia roaches, they are a lot more nutritionally complete and filling than a cricket, and may eat far less of these due to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom