Charlie is a spoiled brat

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
He's now refusing to eat crickets. He will literally drop his butt to the ground and eye me until I give him a worm...which until later today when I get some BSFL has been waxworms, superworms, butterworms, hornworms - ANY worm, he LOVES. He LOVES bok choy. If I so much as attempt to include a yummy strawberry, or shredded carrot (by my own hand) or anything he won't even LOOK at his veggies. It HAS to be bok choy - baby bok choy to be exact :shock:

I have created a monster...I have almost 100 crickets and unless I make him go for the day, he won't touch them. He's not old enough yet to go down to one feeding a day...Let's see, I got him Feb 27th, and he was 6 - 8 weeks old and about 31 g, 8 inches long...so he would be 18 1/2 weeks now - almost 5 months old...and when I weighed him last week he was 234 g and 16 inches (I weigh him every Friday).

I'm assuming since he's growing to be a big monster that I'm doing it right LOL. I remember when I first got my poor Evee last June she was 5 years old and the same weight that Charlie is now and 17 inches...insane! That's the difference between a knowledgeable owner, and one who wasn't.

I'll see if I can get a good picture of him tonight to share.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Laughing aside, I weigh and measure Richter every Friday or Saturday night, and will be doing the same for the new little baby.

Richter started 6.5" long, I'm guessing about a month and a half old, didn't have a scale until months later, but he's nearing 19" and 440g last I checked and is about 7 1/2 months old now, and he's just as picky as it sounds Charlie is.

He LOVED green beans. Introduced collard greens, and he was like "f*** green beans" and refused them. He grew up on phoenix worms, and he LOVED phoenix worms (only the white ones though, once they got dark he didn't want.) Bought a big one of 600 worms, he's like "nah." and let them go to waste(/flies). Now he refuses anything not covered in calcium. I can offer him a dubia roach, he'll refuse, dip that same one in a bit of calcium and he won't hesitate to eat it.

What have we done???

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
LOL I know right!!!? Charlie's first greens were the boy choy - I've tried collard greens, dandelion greens, radicchio, red collard - or something I can't remember, apple, banana, strawberry, carrot, etc, etc...NOPE only the boy choy will do. At least it's healthy.

The worms on the other hand - I can't get BSFL locally :shock: I have to mail order them. So, in order to 'save' on the shipping I ordered 1000 of them plus 12 silkworms and some hornworms which are due to arrive today. I *hope* he loves them - otherwise I just wasted $48 +tax and shipping (CAD). He LOVES worms though - with or without calcium. I think he turns his nose up at crickets cause they move too fast...he's lazy....like really lazy lol

*sigh* So worth it.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Oh geez, don't get me started on superworms with Richter...
I swear he'd kill me just to find out where they are kept. They're like crack to him. It doesn't matter if he's sleepy, or grumpy, or full, whatever, if he sees a superworm he is THERE.

He didn't like hornworms, and never tried butterworms.

All my bugs I order online anyway since our "petshops" are the chain stores and I don't trust their feeders. Luckily, most places will do free shipping in the US... I'm sorry :(

I keep offering him fruits and veggies because the idea of him eating fruits (all dragons actually) I think is adorable, but he like tries to grab it, it's wet and slippery, and he gives up and doesn't care anymore.

I had a feeding ritual with Richter with crickets.
I would position him in the front corner of his viv, take crickets out by hand, and pelt them against the inside wall to stun them, and he'd eat them up as they land and were dazed. I called it teamwork, Richter called it food.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Yeah...the shipping is $38 CAD :/ so the more I order, the more 'affordable' it is. I love where I live, just wish our local shops carried more options...

Yeah, I place Charlie in the corner too and do similar - but he's been plopping his butt down and just refusing the cricks! jerk LOL

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I will - I'll make sure they are good and coated lol

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Here's updated photos of Charlie - I weighed him this am (almost 5 months old). He is 275 g and 16.5 inches long...and sooo grumpy. He just finished shedding and has already started another shed. Thankfully he loves BSFLs and silkworms!

87171-2045825804.jpg
87171-1577121038.jpg

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
That branch fixture looks super familiar...
89300-6060773926.jpg

Charlie looks super happy!
I was going to ask where you got your silk worms from but you're ca so it doesn't matter lol. I should try those again, only did one and Richter wasn't impressed

Elisa

Once I went to Bill's Wonderland of Pets. There they had a bearded dragon named George. He was so FAT and LAZY, that if he couldn't reach his food with his tounge, he wouldn't eat! I suggest maybe take him out more, and let him run around.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
LOL I suspect many people have that fixture. He is a spoiled boy!

Yikes, Eliza! That is horrible! Poor beardie ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Elisa":wqw081f2 said:
Once I went to Bill's Wonderland of Pets. There they had a bearded dragon named George. He was so FAT and LAZY, that if he couldn't reach his food with his tounge, he wouldn't eat! I suggest maybe take him out more, and let him run around.

Sounds like a couple of spoilt beardies I KNOW.... fortunately daddy doesn't mind handfeeding , I show them the cricket or bit of green stuff or bit of fruit, they open their mouths in anticipation ,mind you , if I show them a mealworm , or superworm , or a silkworm , it is made to vanish pretty quick even if it means having to make the effort to take a few steps to get into reach and tongue range .... LOL

They will go to the effort for the foods they LOVE.

Mind you all mine demand adventure time each day to explore and check out "THEIR HOUSE" , we just happen to live in it and are their very well trained humans.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
kingofnobbys":1nu8e27x said:
Elisa":1nu8e27x said:

Sounds like a couple of spoilt beardies I KNOW.... fortunately daddy doesn't mind handfeeding , I show them the cricket or bit of green stuff or bit of fruit, they open their mouths in anticipation ,mind you , if I show them a mealworm , or superworm , or a silkworm , it is made to vanish pretty quick even if it means having to take a few steps to get into reach and tongue range .... LOL

LOL yeah Charlie doesn't like to chase his food either lol

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Charlie seems to be going through the equivalent of 'terrible twos'...omg. FUSSY!!! He won't touch crickets, just turns away from them (I bought 250 last week and they all pretty much have died off without being eaten :shock: ).

This morning when I got up, he was DARK for the first time - beard and body. I picked him up - and he lightened right up...I guess mommy was a little late getting up for this morning snuggle - ok, that was totally and awwww moment for me :D

I go to feed him - I am out of bok choy...uh oh...I gave him the red swiss chard I have...not a happy boy :roll: All I have for feeders right now (other than a few crickets) are BSFL (phoenix worms). Did I ever get the 'look' over that one...he ate a few, but then proceeded to try to eat the plastic plant :lol:

I really have created a monster :mrgreen: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom