Is it ok to feed veg from the non-"organic" section?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The organic section at my store isn't even a full shelf, but they have other vegetables that are perfect. They have collard greens, mustard greens, spaghetti squash and butternut squash! But would they be safe to feed my dragon, or world I have to clean them with something? I really hope I can, can anyone speak from experience feeding a dragon stuff just from the normal shelves of their supermarket?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sure I feed veges from the regular section at the market all the time. I just give everything a good rinse when I get home just as I would with food that I eat. I found that cutting greens up after rinsing them and putting them in big ziploc bags with some paper towel keeps them fresh in the fridge for quite a long time as well.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You realise organic veg are exactly the same plants with identical nutritional content as regular veg , only difference is in the price.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
kingofnobbys":5z8622qh said:
You realise organic veg are exactly the same plants with identical nutritional content as regular veg , only difference is in the price.

In the US "certified organic" is a regulatory term; it requires adherence to a set of standards (notably limitations of allowable chemicals such as glyphosate and sewage sludge) as well as certification. The extra price is a result of the certification cost as well as the differences in farming methods.

I've not seen info on nutritional content variation (this would also be effected by region and climate etc and is an interesting topic I may look into more) but if folks have opposition or concern over conventional farming practices it's an option.

Personally I use both conventional food and organic, whatever is the healthiest and at a reasonable price at the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom