Is it ok to have a Phoenix worm diet for my baby bearide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been keeping my baby on a cricket diet but it's getting hard to take care of them my baby and my dogs also he's not eating like he use to I've had some worms and I see their a bit easier to keep and that last a bit long but I don't want to cause my little guy heat problems I also don't want to be forgetting about my other animals I could use some ideas

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are OK but I wouldn't offer just phoenix worms. They're good as part of a varied diet. Have you considered starting a roach colony? Roaches are quite a bit easier to take care of and keep healthy and they make a good staple bug to offer. Some folks have good luck raising silk worms in batches but they require a bit more fuss and warm temps so I'd consider raising them a bit tougher than keeping crickets on the scale of things.

Sabastianm

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3rhu30hz said:
They are OK but I wouldn't offer just phoenix worms. They're good as part of a varied diet. Have you considered starting a roach colony? Roaches are quite a bit easier to take care of and keep healthy and they make a good staple bug to offer. Some folks have good luck raising silk worms in batches but they require a bit more fuss and warm temps so I'd consider raising them a bit tougher than keeping crickets on the scale of things.
When you say varied diet do you mean like Phoenix worms and veggies or other insects and I know roaches are easier but others on my house wouldn't allow that

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Crickets have been the staple for many years. I raised many babies on crickets as the sole insect but my babies also ate greens from the time they were very small. Greens like turnip, mustard, collard [ collards should be shredded smaller than other greens since they are tougher for a baby to chew ] which are loaded with nutrients. My babies were healthy + fast growing on this diet and I never saw a dragon with gout until I joined here , I'm not sure what is causing even young dragons to get it but I assume it may be related related to a rich diet .

Crickets along with Phoenix worms will be just fine. You can try other worms like silkworms too which I believe are very nutritious but more expensive.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Sabastianm":3oouc6u9 said:
I've been feeding my baby spinach I do shred it up for him I hope that's ok

Spinach, while awesome for people, is generally not great for bearded dragons since it binds calcium. Same deal with kale.
Here is a good list of foods that can safely be added to their diet, as well as warnings of veggies they cannot have.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Regarding phoenix worms, I liked the combination of dubia roaches with phoenix worms as a diet for a small growing dragon, and am looking to do the same with my new baby dragon.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I initially had a mix of
small gutload dusted crickets
+ small (1.5in long silkworms)
+ blowfly gents and blue blowflies
(Peppa and Toothless had a ball jumping to catch them as the flew by , but my wife didn't enjoy a house full of blowflies flying about :( ), then when the one and only order of gents were all hatched (and finally banished outside), we were just giving them small crickets and small silkworms.

If I could have got BSF maggots , I would have included them in a heartbeat. Excellent feeder insect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom