Adult Bearded dragon stopped eating from bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

snufflepuff

after his brumation period he suddenly stopped eating from his bowls. i tried getting a new bowl and then it changed for 2 or 3 days he ate like normally now he wont eat from either. i am currently hand feeding him but before brumation this was never a problem has anyone had this problem and has a solution ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How often are you feeding him? Sometimes adults just aren't super hungry all the time so they'll eat a bit if it's presented to them but they don't go after their bowls of food with as much enthusiasm as the younger dragons do on a more frequent basis. My adult eats a little bit of salad most days and gets a bug meal every few days and that works but some days he isn't too interested in salads which is OK. He always has a fresh salad available to him for when he feels hungry.

snufflepuff

Original Poster
i put food in his bowl everyday but he just looks at it and backs away like he doesnt like it and it stays there till i have to throw it away, then i replace it with something alse i try to keep a vareity. the second bowl i bought was a little shorter i thought that might be the problem but i see other dragons got higher bowls and they climb on them to eat. he sometimes just walks over the lower bowl and spreads the food. but as soon as i handfeed he eats it no problem. i have tried placing veggies around the tank and its the same story

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds to me like he's being picky. What is his weight? Is it remaining stable? If so, he may just not need much at the moment.

Ambii90

Some dragons get bored of their food after a while. You could try giving him different sorts of veggies and maybe spritzing them with water to make them more enticing. Also, dont put meal worms or other live food in the bowl. They usually enjoy the hunt so try giving live food to him one at a time over a 15 min period and let gim go at it. Also important to make sure the temps in his enclosure are at the right levels. Too cold or too hot and they can have trouble digesting their food. If it keeps happening a vet visit might be in order to check for parasites and other illnesses

http://scalesntales365.blogspot.com/2017/05/guide-to-owning-bearded-dragon.html?m=1

snufflepuff

Original Poster
hes about 320g i do mix up alot i put different greens and veggies together in a bowl and when i feed him live food i take the veggies out and but the live food in the bowl. like i said it was never a problem once i put the bowl inside he ran to it and ate it all now when i put live food inside he just waits for it to come to him, doesnt even look at the bowl like hes not hungry. the only time he pays attention to the food is when i feed him. his weight remains stable and ive tried waiting him out to eventually go for the bowl but i always end up throwing it away and feeding him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom