Away from home - freeze dried bugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asherology

Hi,
I am going to be out of town for at most three days. I am getting surgery and due to this, I am in a little financial trouble. I searched for a beardie sitter but I cannot find any fair prices. My friend has offered to care for my beardie and she is pretty reliable. However, she is petrified of live bugs and isn't comfortable with dealing with them. (We all have fears, so I understand.) On top of this, she doesn't quite understand the process in which you get the bugs out of their habitat, dust them, and feed them. Here's my idea: I found a jar of freeze dried insects for beardies at my local pet store and I am thinking that she could serve them to him in place of the live bugs (Maybe a few more to make up for the lack of nutrients.) I think it's "Flunker's Melody Mix" with grasshoppers, crickets, and mealworms (I might remove these because I know they aren't so good for beardies). Now, this would only be temporary. I will be returning in the evening so he would only get two days of this semi-poor diet. I don't want to feel like I am neglecting him but I just cannot afford a sitter right now. I may be able to find someone else who knows how to feed the bugs/is comfortable with it but the surgery was short notice and I only have a few days to plan. I have read up about the freeze dried bugs and all I am getting is that it is not a completely supplement and should only be fed as treats or quick feeds. This I understand. He will be getting back on the traditional live feeder diet once I come back.
(Also, he will eat non-moving bugs like the freeze dried ones. His previous owner fed him them and said that he eats them up. He will also eat the crickets he accidentally steps on and kills, even when they're not moving. Getting him to eat the freeze dried bugs is no problem.)
So, in conclusion, would two days of freeze dried bugs be too unhealthy for my beardie? Or is that a short enough time so that it isn't a big deal?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
How old is he?

If he is a healthy adult he could go the three days without bugs. Your friend can just check in him, put a new salad in and such. Even a robust juvenile ought to be ok for a couple days. You can add the freeze dried bugs but personally I wouldn't spend the money on them considering the duration is so short.

I put premade salads in tupperwares and my friends just swap the tubs. When I travel more than a few days I put servings of bugs in small tubberware with holes in them to be dumped into a food dish (no touching needed); dusting isn't so important for a couple days/a few meals.

asherology

Original Poster
Taterbug":rdc12f2w said:
How old is he?

If he is a healthy adult he could go the three days without bugs. Your friend can just check in him, put a new salad in and such. Even a robust juvenile ought to be ok for a couple days. You can add the freeze dried bugs but personally I wouldn't spend the money on them considering the duration is so short.

I put premade salads in tupperwares and my friends just swap the tubs. When I travel more than a few days I put servings of bugs in small tubberware with holes in them to be dumped into a food dish (no touching needed); dusting isn't so important for a couple days/a few meals.
He's about 1 2/3 years old. Thank you for the response!!! The tubberware idea sounds pretty smart so I will try that if I ever have to travel for longer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom