Good alternative to crickets??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelsC

My lil guy is a juvy, and I've purchase him some crickets to feast on. The first day i had him, he only ate about 2 until he was uninterested. We're on our 3rd day of this adventure and this morning he ate about 4 or 5 crickets, two being calcium dusted. Obviously, he eats them, but not as many as many are saying they should. I personally also HATE crickets. I'm very aware they're harmless, but along with my arachnophobia they just really freak me out. (I know, im a baby). But of course my little guy has to eat. not sure if he is eating small amounts because of the stress of his new home and settling in, or if he just doesnt enjoy them, as much as he tolerates them.

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for good alternatives to crickets? I was thinking worms of some sort, but I know meal worms are tough for them to eat cause of the chitin. I want him to have something living to munch on, but unsure of which direction to go from here? Anything thats more appealing or that juvy dragons like more than crickets?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I abandoned crickets because they stink and are tough to keep alive. I prefer roaches. There are quite a few options (depending on where you live) and once you start a colony you don't need to order any more. In addition to roaches I like offering black soldier fly larvae and silk worms. A varied diet is a very good thing. I use roaches as a staple but also offer different worms on a regular basis in addition to a well balanced and varied salad (this is more important for an adult dragon).

ChelsC

Original Poster
I was looking into the BSF and that sounds promising to me. all the nutrition and no fats. My only concern is ordering online. most places I've checked out do refund DOAs, but I'd rather get him something as soon as possible, opposed to waiting for a shipment of possible DOAs and continuing with crickets he doesnt seem to enjoy. Would you happen to have any idea as to if they're sold in stores? I'm pretty sure the family-owned pet shop near me has silk worms readily available as another alternative. If i were to go that route, should I just give them one at a time as i do the crickets?

ChelsC

Original Poster
Okay! I think I'm going to pick some up then and give them a try. Hopefully he isnt an all around picky eater. He came with Juvenile dragon food pellets, but he hasnt touched any of it, which im assuming is because live food is more appealing. But ill give the worms a try! thank you so much :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've ordered feeders online for years with few problems. They tend to be well packaged and second day shipping usually does the trick. Just avoid ordering when there is expected to be severe weather (hot or cold) between you and the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom