Unsure of nutrition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelique

I recently took in a bearded dragon as a rescue we've decided to keep him I have two small lizards but this is my first interaction with a beardie. I have no way of knowing how old he is. He is scared of crickets so I've been feeding him superworms he seems to not care for much of anything accept blueberries, baby kale and the superworms he seems to eat more baby kale than anything else is this give going to give him enough nutrition?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Angelique, can you post a few pics of him + his set up ? Also list what kind of lights you have ? Here's how to post pics :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to attach pics

He probably isn't used to fast moving insects [ crickets ] but if you pull off the back legs or smash the heads he may eat them. Try it with 1 cricket + see if he'll eat it. Superworms are O.K for now but not more than 6-7 at a time. You might try other bugs too like dubia roachesor silkworms. Try mixing the kale with another staple green like turnip or mustard greens.
Hopefully he'll settle in soon + become a happy member of the family. :)

Angelique

Original Poster
Thank you. I hope so. He is so sweet and I couldn't imagine life in my house without him. He came to me all skin and bones and is filled out and squishy now lol. I got him mixed spring greens and he seems to be enjoying them this morning. He eats about 5 superworms a day. If he eats them at all. Seems like he eats them about every 3rd day he seems to like mostly fruit and greens. Is there a way to try to figure out about how old he is?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's hard to determine the age if they're full grown. Older dragons may have long claws, sometimes even curled, but that can be the case even with a 2-3 year old sometimes. Can you post a few pics of him ?

Angelique

Original Poster
I uploaded some pics of him will add his tank. He spends most of his day out running the house. He is in his tank over night and about 4 or 5 hours of the day. I have 2/ 75w uvb lights and then his heat lamps have 2 infer red for at night and I have one 100w basking light and one 150 heat lamp

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You've done a good job caring for him, he's a good looking boy+ appears to be in good shape. :) He may be anywhere from 2-4 yrs. old, I don't think he's much older than that but you can't be certain. I think he's pretty young though.

You mentioned heat bulbs, but what type of uvb bulb do you use ? And infra red lamps can disrupt their sleep, best to have a CHE [ ceramic heat emitter ] that provides heat but no light. Be sure not to let him roam too much, he needs the heat + uvb from inside his tank to digest food + absorb nutrients properly.

Angelique

Original Poster
When I got him I could count his ribs. He just was so skinny. I have 2 small lizzards that I have had for a while so when he needed a home my friend suggested me. I knew nothing about his care but knew he needed care. He was discolored and not expected to make it. So I am glad I am doing something correct for him. He should have a happy life and never worry about being abused again

Angelique

Original Poster
When he came to me he ate alot and was having bowel movements about every other day but he slowed down to about once a week now and doesn't eat hardly anything compared to the first few weeks should I worry about how often he is using the bathroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom