Encouraging a Good Live-Green ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysty

Juvie Member
Hi there.

I am wondering if it is good practice to encourage a 20 live-80 greens ratio by judging the amount of live food based on the amount of greens eaten.

As my dragons are adults, we have been feeding them approx 4-6 each hoppers or mix hoppers and morio worms in the late afternoon, depending on how much greens have been consumed in the day.

However, I am seeing a lot about feeding as many insects as can be consumed in 10-15 minutes. Imagine that would be a lot more live food. More like a 50-50 ratio at the very least.

So, what are your thoughts please on best practice for adult feeding?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Good luck.... my observation is the lizard will eat only what it likes and wants, is pretty hard to get a lizard to eat something it doesn''t like unless you handfeed / coax it STUBBORNLY to eat it.

I gave up I still handfeed greens to my mob every other day, but it's mostly by giving lots of greens to the crickets as gut loading, my mob all LOVE crickets, this way the crickets are full of greens and pellets and so very much enriched as food and my mob don't know they are getting their greens mostly in disguise....

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I have had some success doing this. I make her salad every morning and cut three dubias in half and place them on top like "moving crutons". She gets her bugs and salad in the right amounts this way and she eats well. She also gets more salad around noon to keep her happy. Here is a pic I took right after she ate breakfast this morning.
87978-3565740073.jpg

Mysty

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Gormagon":34l3xfpa said:
I have had some success doing this. I make her salad every morning and cut three dubias in half and place them on top like "moving crutons". She gets her bugs and salad in the right amounts this way and she eats well. She also gets more salad around noon to keep her happy. Here is a pic I took right after she ate breakfast this morning.
87978-3565740073.jpg

Your beardie looks so satisfied. ^_^

The dubai-half croutons is equal parts gruesome and genius. Have tried something similar by burying morio worms in greens so that they get a mouthful of that first. Their staple is hoppers and no chance getting them to stay in a bowl.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I started cutting them in half because they were getting to big for her to eat whole, it seemed to be a good solution and, it worked in three ways.
It made them edible for her.
It made her eat more salad.
It got rid of the ones that were too big.
Problem solved!!!

Yes it is somewhat gruesome but, it was a solution to a problem.

Elisa

What do you think about feeding Greens only twice a week, say Tuesdays and Thursdays, and then Dubia and greens the rest of the week? So no bugs on Tuesday and Thursday. My Potato is about 4-5 months old. I let him have as many Dubai as he can eat in 10-15 minutes; anywhere from 5 to 10 usually. I don't know if he needs the bugs every single day or if it's OK to just do greens twice a week. The reptile pet store in my area does that. Any comments?
89779-9759499891.jpg

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
My dragon is an adult and only needs a 20%bug diet. Yours is still in the 80% bugs stage, so yes by all means feed as many bugs as he wants.... growing boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom