How can I get my beardie to eat some pellets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaramelBeet

Hatchling Member
I have a 1 month old beardie, no live feeders (everything is too big for him at this size), I've ordered some pinheads from the frog arcade and they were supposed to be here today, but they've dispatched my order late and they won't be here till tomorrow or the next day. He's got some pellets and salad, neither of which he wants to eat. He ate two crickets yesterday (the only two I had that were small enough for him) and I don't think he's eaten anything else. Is there any way I can encourage him to eat some pellets, or something? I don't wanna starve him. I've tried moving it around with a pencil but he's not interested.
I'm really worried, can someone help?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CaramelBeet":2cadzp5m said:
I have a 1 month old beardie, no live feeders (everything is too big for him at this size), I've ordered some pinheads from the frog arcade and they were supposed to be here today, but they've dispatched my order late and they won't be here till tomorrow or the next day. He's got some pellets and salad, neither of which he wants to eat. He ate two crickets yesterday (the only two I had that were small enough for him) and I don't think he's eaten anything else. Is there any way I can encourage him to eat some pellets, or something? I don't wanna starve him. I've tried moving it around with a pencil but he's not interested.
I'm really worried, can someone help?

Other choice is to use Rapashi BUGPIE as your beardie's protein source , not perfect , but better by a very long measure than pellets (irrespective of the brand or the claims of the manufacturer or petshop).

If you place the pellets in some water (just enough to cover them) and let them soak and soften , you will have a better chance of getting the hatchling to eat them, soaked In fruit juice will make them sweet tasting and more attractive.

You will likely have to give them to him by hand one at a time , or turn them into a slurry and give him that orally by syringe.

None of my beardies are fans of pellets, they will eat them (softened and mixed with the grated veg) but really not such a good food for beardies , but great food for the bugs and the bugs LOVE them and even fight for possession of individual pellets....

My order from Frog Arcade arrived this afternoon, some weeks the courier takes longer and they show up on Thursday and even on Friday..... I have occasionally been compelled to buy 4 - 6 tubs of crickets from a local pet shop if the Frog Arcade shipping has not arrived by Thursday. I send them an email in that situation to ask them to do a trace on my consignment , they are very approachable and in the main very reliable.

I'm in NSW , so my Frog Arcade orders have to travel about 700km to get to me.

It's likely your order of crickets will be there tomorrow (Thursday) , if not email Frog Arcade.

I think you also chose crickets who are too small, Pinheads are 2mm long (and really fast moving/hoppy !!!) your one month old hatchling (likely about 8g) will find 25day old Frog Arcade crickets (about 10mm) more satisfying , and if he's a very small monthling (under 6g) , 20day old crickets (7mm) maybe are suitable.
He'll like eat stacks of pinheads if you can get him to show interest them. While the larger 20d and 25d and even 1/3 size cricket will be larger and much more attractive to him.

CaramelBeet

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I did email them, they said that they couldn't dispatch my order yesterday so they dispatched it today (hopefully it gets here tomorrow!), but I was hoping to feed him something this afternoon. Poor guy must be starving but I can't get him to eat anything else.
In hindsight, pinheads probably are a bit small. At the time I ordered, I was just so so fed up with too-big crickets. I also didn't want to have them grow too big too quick.
I hope he ears tonnes of them, there's 1500 of them coming!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CaramelBeet":2j2wie88 said:
I did email them, they said that they couldn't dispatch my order yesterday so they dispatched it today (hopefully it gets here tomorrow!), but I was hoping to feed him something this afternoon. Poor guy must be starving but I can't get him to eat anything else.
In hindsight, pinheads probably are a bit small. At the time I ordered, I was just so so fed up with too-big crickets. I also didn't want to have them grow too big too quick.
I hope he ears tonnes of them, there's 1500 of them coming!!

He'll be fine for a day or two .... when they are in shed some loose interest in their bugs for a few days , and when undergoing relocation stress they can refuse to eat..... he'll make up for it be really ready when they do arrive.

Such small crickets are best fed to him in a separate feeding tub, if you chill them for about 5 -10 minutes in the fridge they''ll be slower and easier for him to catch. If accepts such small crickets , you'll likely have to give up to 50 - 60 per feed (a few at time).

Only the adult male crickets churp btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom