Extreme pickiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCHRKiller

Hatchling Member
My beard is quite picky....which I assume is typical for a juvie. I purchased her at 6-7" from Petsmart about a month ago. She has grown quite a bit and is now (best guess) 8-9" and much more plump than she once was. I keep salad in the tank for her at all times; will place bits of carrot, squash, or bell pepper on her greens but she wont eat them. She refuses anything but mustard greens and collards.

For insects I have tried to offer a variety as well...however again she is picky and will only eat Dubia.

Is a diet of Dubia and Mustards/Collards sufficient? I am using plain calcium powder 4X per week and calcium with D3 3X per week.

She is quite alert and dare I say downright sassy. I am concerned about the long term of a limited diet. Right down she eats some greens...in total maybe about a 2" square worth and 25-30 Dubia in the 1/2-5/8" range.

My Radagast is the same way! He likes his dark leafy greens but everything else I've tried he snubs. He accidentally ate some mushed yams because I mixed them with his collard greens and that's about it. I've tried papaya and squash and green beans because others say that beardies are enticed by them. I just keep giving him kale or collard greens and try new everything else recommendation lists hoping to find his pleasure. He ate some peas but I wasn't sure those were all that nutritional. I'm not sure he had much exposure to anything good for him before he came to me so maybe it will just take repeated tries. Maybe your little one too? Good luck and let me know how it goes!

MCHRKiller

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hard to say the prior...she came from a Petsmart where they kept her with a bowl of Repcal and gave some crickets. She(Yoda) wont eat greens unless I hand feed them to her either...she also wont eat them in small pieces like beards are "supposed" to and only wants them in pieces basically the size of her head. :lol: She also wont eat Repcal either.

When I brought her home she was more open to feeders than now. She would eat Supers, BSFL, and Dubia. She stopped eating the BSFL and now refuses Supers.

I only offer alternate veg(outside of greens) a couple times per week because she wont touch it. She also did not eat very well up until about a week ago...she was only eating her 2" square of greens and around 10ish Dubia. She then shed and has doubled/tripled her insect intake. Despite the fact she is looking much more plump and filled out these days I still worry she is not eating enough as other folks say their beard eats 50ish Dubia per day.

Mine also does not subscribe to the whole 2-3 insect feedings as much as they will eat in 15mins either. She will only eat 2-3 at a time....I place Dubia in a ceramic bowl which is about 1" deep and just leave them for her. She will run down from her basking spot eat a few and return to bask for a period of time and repeat. Her lamps come on at around 3pm and go off at 3am. I drive 1hr each way to work and work from 8am-5pm so I dont get home till 6. I feed her and spot clean her enclosure when I get home. I make sure she has some bugs in her bowl when I got to bed at around 11pm...if she has any left in the morning before I leave I will usually drop them in a bit of fruit for moisture and she can eat them when she wakes up that evening before I get home. Keeps my feedings down to 1X per day and the Dubia cant get out of the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom