Superworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vandy

Just wanting to know when I can start feeding my bd superworms? And how often He is a juvi I would guess 8-11 inches head to tail. He/she is currently on crickets and Dubai roaches 2 times a day, 1-2 hornworms a week with kale collard and mustard greens in between feedings . Just want to give my bd the most balanced diet he/she can possibly get but was wondering if there was a certain age/size they should be before introducing superworms.

Vandy

Original Poster
Thanks! The local pet store I go to buy feeders from ask me what I was feeding so I told him a baby beaded dragon and he recommended me superworms. Haha I'm glad I checked here first.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Vandy":29pf83cg said:
Thanks! The local pet store I go to buy feeders from ask me what I was feeding so I told him a baby beaded dragon and he recommended me superworms. Haha I'm glad I checked here first.

Glad you checked! Some pet stores give some really misguided information.
As destiny said, 16" is definitely recommended due to a kink in their digestive tract.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Very cute dragon and I like your setup for him :)
Small superworms (which may be harder to find) would be ok fed on a frequency similar to the hornworms. They seem to be really appealing to dragons and you could be faced with a dragon who refuses other feeders in favor of the supers. They aren't the healthiest option.

@traildrifterphalanx - do you happen to have more info about the "kink in the digestive track?" I've been trying to trace down a source on that one for ages.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Taterbug":2xkoxuta said:
Very cute dragon and I like your setup for him :)
Small superworms (which may be harder to find) would be ok fed on a frequency similar to the hornworms. They seem to be really appealing to dragons and you could be faced with a dragon who refuses other feeders in favor of the supers. They aren't the healthiest option.

@traildrifterphalanx - do you happen to have more info about the "kink in the digestive track?" I've been trying to trace down a source on that one for ages.

I'm unable to find my original source and keep getting results to this forum :lol:

If it helps, here's a photo of the digestive tract in reptiles/lizards which are generally the same:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/--NzBspzn0n4/UQAnljp-BmI/AAAAAAAACZU/7ZSCsqpzm-I/s1600-h/digestive-system-reptile%25255B13%25255D.jpg

The issue with superworms is that their heads do not digest/compress properly as it is all hard chitin. In a smaller lizard, 1 head or so could usually pass ok, but feeding multiple could cause a traffic jam.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I have that same issue, which is why I get suspect of some claims like that.

The head capsule is a interesting point, I hadn't thought of that. I may have to follow that trail now :) wonder how ants compare hardness/size wise... as they are a primary wild food item for dragons... hmm.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
No prob!
The original thing I had read on it was back around when my first dragon was only a few months old, so about a year and a half ago. I had considered superworms as a "cheap" option, but had read and seen a diagram of what exactly the kink was they were referring to that could cause issues and decided I'd rather not chance it and went with dubias.

The only part I remembered was about the heads, so while the shell may not digest regardless, if someone really wants to feed superworms to a younger dragon they could likely decapitate them prior... :puke:

Angelique

I am so glad I decided to stop and read this. My squishy has been only eating super worms for the last few weeks. I am going to have to see about introducing different kinds of things to him and remove some of the superworms this has been very informative for me. I love your set up. Your tank is really nice

i feed my baby dragons super worms if you are breeding your own worms you can just feed the ones that are white and have just shed they are soft enough to be digested as they have not yet formed the tough chitin shell :D

Vandy

Original Poster
Those pictures were only taken 9 days ago but looking at them I can see how much bigger he is in just 9 days. I'm skipping the superworms until he's grown up. Right now he's on roaches and crickets 3 times a day and hornworms and I'm about to Try black soldier fly larvae for the first time.
91111-9622245701.jpg
this is him 9 days later from first pictures

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Bearded dragons don't really need superworms to have a balanced diet, even though they're one of the easiest feeders for us human slaves to take care of. Most beardies like them a little too much, but they won't be missing anything nutritionwise without them.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Superworms have a bad rap on some forums, but you can find the true nutritional value if you Google reputable nutrition charts, or Google a number of them to see for yourself. Here's one right here.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi6it_D6OzSAhXmyVQKHb_mCHEQFghQMAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geckotime.com%2Fnutritional-value-of-commercially-raised-insects%2F&usg=AFQjCNG6xdGXaChAFrjXxEekt1L2pJyFWQ&sig2=PUB_uySJk7LVRVHoncdclQ

This compares it to other insects + talks about the benefit of feeding a variety of insects. I personally am never without them, they are THE easiest to keep, live for months, don't smell and are easy to gut load. They can be kept in a low-sided plastic tote, can't escape and cause no harm if they do [ by you dropping one accidentally, etc. ]

The fresh shed ones are excellent to get a non feeding lizard to eat again. Dusted with calcium powder they supply a lot of good nutrients. I never fed them to hatchlings/small babies .

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Thank you for the info!
I just recently introduced super worms to my dragons about a month ago in an attempt to add some weight to them (both over 16", though Richter was about 15" when I started on him), and they both just absolutely love them, but I was unsure of the nutritional value as most search results immediately pull up warnings (impaction, high in fat, junk food, etc)

They're by far my favorite feeder right now due to how easy they are and how extremely tempting they are for my dragons (they'll be super full after other feeders, but there's always room for superworms!) so I feel more at ease having them in their diet. I have been offering them as treats or "dessert" currently, not a staple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom