can I spoil my Dragon by hand feeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elisa

can I spoil my Dragon by hand feeding ?
My baby bearded, Potato, seems to have a healthy appetite. He's about 3 to 5 months old and will eat 20 to 40 crickets a day depending on the size. I am wondering if I have spoiled him as I will place the crickets in his cage one by one because I like to watch him eat them and I want to keep a count of how many he's eating . I also don't want crickets getting loose and running around my house. Sometimes he'll run after them and sometimes he waits for them to come to him. Sometimes he waits for me to put a cricket in front of him. have i completely spoiled him and has he lost his urge to hunt and forage? Any thoughts?

Birdy

Hatchling Member
hello ha ha :lol: that's cute :D so you haven't spoiled your BD it is actually very bonding to hand feed! i hand feed my BDs all the time and they love it!!!!! sometimes they won't even touch the food in the dish but if i pick it up they'll start eating :D :D :D :lol:

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Only problem I see with it is if you have to go out of town for awhile. Unless you have someone willing to hand feed your dragon it might be too spoiled to eat. Minor problem though...

Elisa

Original Poster
??. Thanks for the reply! I guess it's lucky I don't go anywhere so there's only me to feed him LOL

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I'll admit I've been there too. in addition to making it tricky if your out of town foraging/hunting are both mentally and physically stimulating for them, it's easy for them to get lazy if they know they don't have to work for dinner. Probably best to make sure you do a little of both - hand feed some so you can bond and make him hunt as well so he doesn't get too lazy.

Elisa

Original Poster
That's ahh great advice! and yes, I will do both. I fed them by hand and then I left a couple in the tank so he had to find them on his own LOL

What Rankins and Tater said! Only issue is if you ever need someone else to take care of it. I do the same thing though and mix hand feeding with hunting on their own. They love the stimulation and exercise from hunting, but we still get to bond with hand treats! :D

Others may discourage it, but that's for more naturalistic rearing imo! If you're not slating your beardies for release into the wild, which none of us are, then to hell with keeping their natural hunting instincts! Let 'em get fat n lazy and have a happy spoiled life lording over us all.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Cinnasticks":1jg9463d said:
Let 'em get fat n lazy and have a happy spoiled life lording over us all.
I agree to an extent ;) obesity seems to be very common in pet dragons and even normalized to a concerning degree. For my guy I draw the line at giving him hugs he isn't willing to at least move a step or two for. If I can get him to think about it or work a bit harder all the better. An unchallenging life isn't necessarily the healthiest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom