2 month old more interested in veggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessie4698

Hello!

I purchased some mustard greens after hearing that lettuce is not nutritional for beardies. I sprinkled some powder calcium and other vitamins on top of the mustard greens after wetting/washing them. Rigby loves them so much.

He seems to be much more interested and into these mustard greens than he is with his crickets or small mealworms. He doesn't even chase after the crickets and/or eat them. He ate about 15 crickets on the first time we offered them to him 2 days ago, he only ate 4 yesterday, and none today.

What can I do to get him more interested in the crickets? I know as a growing boy he needs 80% insects and 20% fruits and veggies.

I'm looking into purchasing small quantities of black soldier fly larvae (aka "Phoenix worms" or "reptiworms"), locusts, Dubia roaches, and Hornworms.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The ratio is just an estimate. If he is into mustard greens, offer as many as he wants. Keep offering him bugs but if he prefers the greens at the moment, run with it. I think you'll find that he goes through phases as he grows up and his mood will change toward different foods and his appetite will go up and down over time as well. Just offer him as much variety as you can and let him dictate what he needs at a given time. You don't need to supplement the salads. Just rotate what you offer and give him 2-3 items at a time. The variety from the veges will give him plenty of nutrients. It's the bugs that are lacking and need supplementation.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
jessie4698":1pk5i2nj said:
Hello!

I purchased some mustard greens after hearing that lettuce is not nutritional for beardies. I sprinkled some powder calcium and other vitamins on top of the mustard greens after wetting/washing them. Rigby loves them so much.

He seems to be much more interested and into these mustard greens than he is with his crickets or small mealworms. He doesn't even chase after the crickets and/or eat them. He ate about 15 crickets on the first time we offered them to him 2 days ago, he only ate 4 yesterday, and none today.

What can I do to get him more interested in the crickets? I know as a growing boy he needs 80% insects and 20% fruits and veggies.

I'm looking into purchasing small quantities of black soldier fly larvae (aka "Phoenix worms" or "reptiworms"), locusts, Dubia roaches, and Hornworms.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

I had the same issue with Peppa and Toothless, they were chowing down and filling up on their greens and grated veg, and didn't have room for the bugs, so, I held back the greens and grated veg until they'd had their 2nd bug feed , then the greens and grated veg went in with a garnish of fresh mulberry leaves with 6 - 8 small - medium silkworms (bug meal #3). This solved the problem.

I also opted to hand feed my spikey children their crickets when they became "a bit lazy" , mostly to :
--- strengthen the bond
--- make sure meals were done and dusted relatively easily and
--- so I didn't have to go looking for hiding rogue crickets.

Peppa and Toothless were often up "midnight raiding" because they learnt that the crickets they'd missed were coming out after their lights were turned off and raiding their greens and grated veg. Cleaver little buggers !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom