How much should a juvie really eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCHRKiller

Hatchling Member
I got my first beard on Saturday from a petshop...we opted for the most active one in the bunch which darted from its basking spot to glass dance in front of us and was busy scurrying around the enclosure. I am confident she is a healthy lizard due to activity, and fact she keeps her head lifted at all times except when sleeping.

From my research she should be eating much more than she is currently....she is about 8" including tail. The store was feeding her mealworms and crickets.....I have small supers, BSFL, and dubia roachs.

She will eat some collard greens from the tongs usually about 3 bites worth. I feed her this a few hours after the lamps come on to ensure she is at proper temperature before feeding. An hour or so following this I will offer some insects. She typically will not eat more than 2-3 BSFL or dubia at a time from tongs. Then she will only eat 1-2 supers at a time from tongs. She wont eat out of a bowl at this time and actually pooped in her bowl of BSFL yesterday :mrgreen:

Yesterday she wouldnt eat any dubia when offerred and only ate 3 supers and 4 BSFL. I am making sure she does eat some BSFL daily to ensure her calcium needs are met. We have her lamps come on at 3pm and go off at 3am to better fit our work schedule as no one is home until 5pm. We offer her food from tongs about every hour from 6pm-11pm. We also put a bowl of salad in for her with a few repcal pellets. I bathed her yesterday which she despised although it did give me a chance to hold her since my hand was the lesser of two evils compared to the water.

At this size how much "should" she be eating? She will take 1-3 insects at a time from tongs and wont have any more. I do think she has put on a little weight as her body does not look as flat as before. She does not really scurry around her tank now she spends most of her time basking or up on one of her logs. Is that normal?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
You've only had her a few days - it's great she is eating and I would wait a few week so to worry about how much. She's had a big life change and that can be stressful, not to mention she might have some serious jet lag from the change in light cycle. I'd keep doing what you are doing.

What are the temps like? Excessive basking can indicate too low of temperatures or too few options for other perches.

MCHRKiller

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hottest point is about 102...there are other areas which range from 85-90s depending on where she opts to go. I have a large rock and 2 grapevine logs under her lamp which is a 150watt that hangs about 2" off the screen on a 40B. She usually opts for the areas just outside being directly under the lamp which are usually in the mid 90s. The opposite end of the tank is about 75*F and about 45% humidity. I dont have a thermometer but measure with a temp gun so the numbers should be accurate. I have not seen her gape since the first night...should I lower the lamp/raise the basking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom