Looking for good feeding dish

Status
Not open for further replies.

charmander16

Juvie Member
I'm looking for a pretty big dish, that's big enough for our 4 month beardie to fully crawl into but with low enough sides that he can also crawl out on his own, but with high enough and smooth enough sides that (dry) BSF larva and small dubias can't crawl out of.

Any suggestions? I've seen a few on-line that look promising, but I can't really tell from on-line photos. Here are some examples:

http://www.northerngecko.net/habiscape-x-large-rock-bowl/

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptile-Rock-Medium/dp/B0009YD68U

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=27892&cmpid=01cseYY&ref=6191&subref=AA&cmpid=PLA_G_6191&gclid=CLns2PzfjdICFYiLswod0ZwJtg
(The 9.5" bowl)

https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Reptile-Terrarium-Large-Colors/dp/B000MD6K2C/

Anyone have any experience with these other other better options?

My issue is that I've been letting the dubias just go in the terrarium, but they often get under the flooring. The ccurrent dish I'm using wont' contain them. I'd rather they just be confined in a dish, but I kind of want a big enough dish I can just put him in. I don't want to put him in a separate feeding environment for various reasons.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The Zilla dish looks like it might be the best, but if you have a thrift shop or Goodwill store you might find something similar for a dollar or two.

Mordecai

Juvie Member
I found a great dish at a thrift store. It was for a candle to sit in but I was looking for something heavy and tall enough so the bugs couldn't get out. It's great.

charmander16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I may have found the perfect thing, and the good news is they are super cheap.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/dotchi-10-in-Clear-Plastic-Plant-Saucer/50328523

There are also lots of size options too. I'm going to head to Lowes tomorrow to have a look. This also has the advantage of being clear so he can see into it that something is there.

I don't know for sure yet if this is going to work for my intent (a large enough dish I can place him into, that he can get out of but his food can't), but at this price I can give it a try.

If it will contain the food, then I'm thinking maybe I can mount it on a shallow wooden base with a single screw through the middle to make sure it doesn't tip.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That might work if you stabilize like you said. Keep in mind that some beardies will see the bugs and think they can go right through the plastic but then they might figure out quickly that they have to climb in to it.

charmander16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I got the plastic saucers from Lowes and I really recommend these things, they were almost perfect.

They have sizes ranging from 6" to 14" in 2" increments and the depth is almost perfect, just a tiny bit high, but low enough. The clear was confusing to him, he tried to crawl through it instead of over it to get out, but that's easy to fix.

The sides are 1.5" high. They have a heavy duty version that costs about $2.50 for the 8" size. I got an 8" and a 10" and ending up using the 8" because it fits in the enclosure better. Even bigger dubias can't get out and even CRICKETS don't hop in it, not sure why. So it holds everything. Dubias, crickets, and BSFL all stayed contained in it. The heavy duty ones don't tip even without support, but he can't climb into it on his own without modification.

What I'm going to do is make a wooden base for it. I think there are two kinds of bases you could easily make. Wood or wrap it in that sisal rope. I'm just going to make a wooden ring base by taking two 1X4s and cutting half circles in them and attaching them around the outside to make a way for him to be able to easily climb in on his own.

I may post a picture once it's done. I think this is going to be really good because I want something big enough that I can put dubias and stuff in it in the morning, put him in it, and leave and know that he can get out on his own and also that he can get back into it on his own throughout the day.

These things to so good IMO, I think there should be some kind of sticky post for them or have them added to a FAQ or something.

charmander16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He got the hang of the thing this morning, I think it's really going to work out well. For now I put it up against his basking perch and put some other wooden steps on the other side. I put 5 dubias in this morning and watched him and he was up on his basking perch, spotted them, ran down into it, grabbed them, and then ran back out again to bask. Perfect.

I had really been struggling with feeding him prior to this because I didn't have a good dish I could put roaches in where he would see them and really eat them on his own, so I'd let them loose in his tank in the mornings and evening and he'd eat them, but I'd kind of let in one at a time and wait for him to eat them, etc. That didn't work well with my schedule and I was having to feed him too early and too late in the day.

Now I can just dump in 10 roaches and some BSFL in the morning and leave him be and he can eat when he wants. I put his greens in the middle so that works out good.

Once I make a proper base for it I'll post some pics and more info, but I really recommend these things and they are super cheap.

Also, I was wrong about the crickets, some of them do jump out but it seems like about 50% of them won't jump out of it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That;s good that you seem to have found the perfect feeding bowl, and inexpensive to boot. :) It's great when you can use a little ingenuity to come up with a solution not only for yourself but to help others.

charmander16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I was looking at this today and I think these would be ideal feeding containers for anyone using sand. In fact I may put in sand when my guy gets to 1 year old. I think at a year I'll move to the 10" container with a sand substrate.

If you bury it about half way down into the sand there will still be about a half inch above the sand and there is about a 1/4 inch lip around the outside that should keep most sand out of the container as they crawl in and out.

This would let you have a kind of sand free feeding pit in the enclosure. I haven't tried it yet, but seems like it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom