Another beardie newbie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaminkiera

Good morning everyone! After doing a good bit of reading I am learning that almost all new beardie owners have the same concerns the first few days, but I still got some questions. I have them in a 40g tank that all 4 sides are open. Should a few sides be covered. Should my 7 1/2in beardies really be able to eat 50+ crickets a day. Because the most I have seen them eat in seven days is 5, and And speeder ate 3 that was rite home from pets store. They have had a very small amount of kale, a few bites of strawberries, and some mealworms, and 1 wax worm each in seven days I have had them. And on the forth day I noticed chamber was shedding from his head legs and tail. Dose someone that knows better then me know if the fact that there new and shedding is probably why they are not eating much. I guess I would like someone to confirm this please. And we do handle the atlest 3to4 times a day. I want to make sure the little guys are as happie and healthy as possible..I have tried warm baths but they don't seem to like it. Could too much attention at first be too much? And I have all the heat and lights And a very nice log in there cage. Thanks for reading have a great day.beard :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gaminkiera":273lw3w9 said:
Good morning everyone! After doing a good bit of reading I am learning that almost all new beardie owners have the same concerns the first few days, but I still got some questions. I have them in a 40g tank that all 4 sides are open. Should a few sides be covered. Should my 7 1/2in beardies really be able to eat 50+ crickets a day.<<< how big are the crickets ? pinheads, 1/4 size, 1/3 size ???
Because the most I have seen them eat in seven days is 5, and And speeder ate 3 that was rite home from pets store. They have had a very small amount of kale, a few bites of strawberries, and some mealworms, and 1 wax worm each in seven days I have had them.<<< mealworms and wax worms are NOT GOOD feeder insects for beardies , especially NOT for hatchlings aboutb 6 - 8 inches long (nose to tip of tail)
You need to stop using mealworms and wax worms as feeders PRONTO.

The BEST feeder insects are
>>> BSF maggots (phoenix worms)
>>> small (about 1.5" long) - medium (about 2" long) silkworms
>>> small (1/4 - 1/3 sized) gutloaded and dusted crickets)
>>> small roaches (similar size as above) who are gutloaded and dusted.

Greens are OK offered daily - if your hatchling is interested in them and nibbles on them that's a bonus.
Grated vegs (sweet potato, carrots) are OK to offer daily
Finely chopped raw green beans and peas are OK to offer daily.
Some chopped soft fruits and beardies are OK as treats.

At the small size of the hatchlings you mention it's critical that you offer as many live appropriate sized insects as each hatchling will eat per sitting , and offer AT LEAST TWO live bug meals per day and FEED THEM SEPARATELY.

. And on the forth day I noticed chamber was shedding from his head legs and tail. Dose someone that knows better then me know if the fact that there new and shedding is probably why they are not eating much. I guess I would like someone to confirm this please. <<< if they are housed together, don't just dump the bugs in and expect them to share , the dominant hatchling will get the lion's share of the bugs and the other will hardly get any AND WILL FAIL TO THRIVE and WILL BE CONSTANTLY STRESSED. I highly recommend you separate them ASAP .

And we do handle the atlest 3to4 times a day. I want to make sure the little guys are as happie and healthy as possible..I have tried warm baths but they don't seem to like it. <<< bathing is unnecessary for beardies, if they don't enjoy the experience , don't stress them unnecessarily . Could too much attention at first be too much? And I have all the heat and lights And a very nice log in there cage. Thanks for reading have a great day.beard :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Gaminkiera

Original Poster
Hi thanks for the info. This morning I made a separate feeding pen and fed one at a time and that worked well. I have raised whitetaled deer for 18years and also have raised trout and have 3 koi fish that I got 17years ago and they are now between 25 and 33 pounds. Huge beautiful fish. So I know these types of animals take special care. My father and I got the bear does for my son but all 3 of us are really getting attached to the little guys and 3 of us makes it easier to care for them.
We figured that the reader most likely had them in bins, the pet store had them in a small verarium that only one side was see threw so do you think that the fact that all four sides of mine are clear stresses them out. Should I put up a boarder? And should I just get a hole other verarium now and separate them, as of now they leave each other alone and I have not seen one laying on the other. Have a great day. Thanks info was a big help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom