Rex and Peppa have been refusing their greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Both ordinarily love their buk choi greens , but the last week or so both have only eating them under sufferance and spitting out the bits of leaf ... meanwhile Toothless has gone from only eating his greens under sufferance to loving them (both buk and puk choi , he gobbles it down no problem), whereas Peppa and Rex have always loved their buk choi but not been so keen on the puk choi (it tastes different).

I guess they are just bored with their usual green leafy vegs or are hanging out for more superworms (both Rex and Peppa love their worms while Toothless has never been enthusiastic about worms (with the exception of silkworms which he loved).

Guess I'll either have to let them get over this "phase" or find a different leafy green veg for them to try.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Darwin has been going through that too. Just being picky/bored I guess. I just try to offer some different things for a while and wait it out. Rex and Peppa are both well fed and cared for so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
They are all spoilt rotten.

They know I've recently got in 200 more superworms and I'm sure this is what they want, even spitting out the occasional cricket too.

Might be time to fish out about 100 silkworm eggs and hatch them and grow them to give them some healthy alternatives as a feeders.

Thinking of getting some fresh grapevine leaves to offer as an alternative green too.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Those are both good ideas and certainly worth a shot.

I heard about a nasty heat wave over in your neck of the woods recently. Is it affecting your part of NSW? How are you faring?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
CooperDragon":39dbvdpl said:
Those are both good ideas and certainly worth a shot.

I heard about a nasty heat wave over in your neck of the woods recently. Is it affecting your part of NSW? How are you faring?

Never left the house - as we're airconditioned (and my exterior walls , my ceiling and floors are all insulated - I did the insulation myself when I reclad the house with HardyPlanks about 20 years ago) and my aircon is oversized for my house size (according to the Fujitsu site) so it was just ticking over on medium and low fan speeds and holding the living area at 26degC and the bed rooms at 27 - 28degC while it was about 45oC outside. Was the hottest February day on record here 4 days running, being close to the sea (only a couple of km away) didn't help as the sea breeze was simply overpowered.

We simply kept the unoccupied rooms closed , all the windows shut and kept the blinds on the East and north windows down in the am , and the west and north windows down in the pm.

In fact I was getting cold in my fav lounge seat and even turned the aircon off when the sun was directly overhead for a few hours.

In summer we run the aircon 24/7 and simply set the fan speed to Auto or quiet mode and set the temp to 24degC.

Was a scorching week and I really feel for those who had to work in the heat and those who don't have aircon in their homes or who are scared of big power bills if they use the aircons they have. I wouldn't have wanted to travel anywhere in that heat if the car is not airconed.
Were some really bad bush fires in my area too, homes were lost and cars and lots of farm sheds and equipment were destroyed.

Another heatwave is expected here for the coming weekend and will hang about for a week or so.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds rough. I agree, awful for folks who work outside or don't have AC. I'm glad you have good AC and can bunker down. That's usually my plan during heat waves too. Sad about the brush fires. Those can be pretty destructive. There are a few nasty ones burning over in New Zealand at the moment too. Apparently one of their firefighting helicopters went down last night and killed the pilot too. Dangerous stuff for sure. I hope they all get under control soon.

cbbrown

Hatchling Member
kaisei has this problem too, he use to just refuse greens on superworm days. lately he has been refusing greens almost everyday. so i have been rotating his greens this time i bought mustard greens and cilantro.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Can't fool Peppa, I tried popping a bit buk choi green into her mouth while she was munching on a cricket, she promptly spat out the yucky green stuff , gave me stink eye and resumed chewing that yummy cricket. Tried being sneeky a few times and got the same response from her each time.

So I gave Rex her buk choi greens before I gave her some crickets , was OK for a while then went on strike until she saw a cricket coming inbetween my finger tips and promptly opened her mouth as if to say "that's more like it..."

Wont be stressing over the greens for Peppa and Rex, will offer by hand, if they eat a bit good, if not, the crickets are being gutloaded with buk choi greens so it's in their guts when they are eaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom