Feeding too much or not enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xBryce

My bd eats 20-30 large crickets every afternoon then she will be done and go lay in the basking spot, but in the evening time she will start to pick at the reptile carpet and eat it. So today I put in about 20 more crickets and she ate them all. Is 2 feedings of 20-30 crickets a day too much?

Stres

Hatchling Member
xBryce":4k8y4y2o said:
My bd eats 20-30 large crickets every afternoon then she will be done and go lay in the basking spot, but in the evening time she will start to pick at the reptile carpet and eat it. So today I put in about 20 more crickets and she ate them all. Is 2 feedings of 20-30 crickets a day too much?

I think this depends on the age of your dragon, young beardies are recommended to be fed as much as they can eat in a 10-15 minute period up to three times a day. At least for the first few months after which you can drop it to around twice daily.

Just make sure to feed them at least two hours before the lights go out so it has plenty of time to bask and digest it's food properly.

After that age I'm not sure on how much/how often they can be fed insects but iv read after a year you can drop the live food to one feeding every other day as long as their eating a good amount of greens daily.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Like was mentioned, it depends on the age. For an adult over a year old, 40-60 large crix a day is a recipe for obesity and/or possibly gout. It also depends on whether these are pet store " large " crickets because sometimes they aren't actualy large but are just medium. Can you post pics of the dragon as well as the crickets ? Here's how:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to attach pics

Do you feed her any greens ? If not do that ASAP. Now is the time, esp. since she appears to have attempted to eat the green carpet. So offer greens like turnip, mustard, collard, endive, dandelion, escarole as well as squash and green beans [ fresh but chopped ]

xBryce

Original Poster
AHBD":3mu4iw05 said:
Like was mentioned, it depends on the age. For an adult over a year old, 40-60 large crix a day is a recipe for obesity and/or possibly gout. It also depends on whether these are pet store " large " crickets because sometimes they aren't actualy large but are just medium. Can you post pics of the dragon as well as the crickets ? Here's how:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to attach pics

Do you feed her any greens ? If not do that ASAP. Now is the time, esp. since she appears to have attempted to eat the green carpet. So offer greens like turnip, mustard, collard, endive, dandelion, escarole as well as squash and green beans [ fresh but chopped ]
Yes she eats greens about every other day I've had her for a couple months and shes 13 inches long
89273-6273393151.jpg
89273-4381812611.jpg

Skipper7

Juvie Member
IMO, she looks young enough to still be eating that amount of crickets... possibly even more as those don't look like large crickets to me. You can always offer more veggies as well. Does your pet store charge more for the larger size? If so, I reccomend looking online for crickets or dubia in bulk.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's a good amount for her then, I wouldn't feed a larger number than that. Gout is increasingly common in beardies so although you want to feed them a good amount they should not get stuffed at every meal. Along with veggies she's getting a great diet. As Skipper mentioned, you can look in to dubias as well.

xBryce

Original Poster
AHBD":1zndbnke said:
That's a good amount for her then, I wouldn't feed a larger number than that. Gout is increasingly common in beardies so although you want to feed them a good amount they should not get stuffed at every meal. Along with veggies she's getting a great diet. As Skipper mentioned, you can look in to dubias as well.
That's the largest crickets the pet store has but I have about 500 hatchlings I'm raising right now so maybe they'll get bigger than the pet store's. I'm 16 and mom won't let me get roaches, she's disgusted by them lol but I am kinda too

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You say you're raising 500 baby crickets, did the female lay eggs while you had her in a tank or did you buy them ? It will take a while for them to grow large enough for your dragon. Keep the crickets between 78 -85 degrees and feed them a good diet so they will grow more quickly.

Are you buying crickets in bulk on line ?

sythompson

I am currently doing research about bearded dragons before I get one. I have read many articles about different insects people prefer to feed their beardie's. I am looking for a staple insect to feed my beardie when I get one, that is very nutritious and not fatty. Do you have any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom