Goliath worms: need advice + for 6-7 month old dragon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Was looking for silk worms as optional feeder but was told Goliath worms are same thing: I am not convinced lol.

Also we bought Lizzy at petco 8/20 2016 and while they told us she was three months old I never believed that based on her size and weight. I'm thinking she is closer to 6 or 7 months old and am wondering about feeding changes ;) she's getting so lazy lol
Thanks all ;)

Sorry I meant I think she was only maybe a month to 6 weeks old when purchased making her now 6 or 7 months old

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If you Google both types of worm you can see for yourself. :) Goliath worms are much different and they grow to a huge size in a short time. Both types of worm are nutritious, some people would say silks are better. Here's a pic of some goliath hornworms that I took a while back. They are about the actual size that you see in the pic when they have grown to full size.
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29893/full

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah I googled beforehand and I know they are different species, I suppose I meant nutritionally. I see and hear mixed info.... I'm intending on using them as an every other day feeder between roaches, superworms are a little fatty for our girl. Oh the belly is bulging. Im not really finding a nutrition comparison anywhere tho.

And Lizzy is all over the board with her eating these days, some days she wants to eat me out of house n home n other days she just looks at bugs like they need to be sprayed lol. But will gorge on her veggies. Is it the age? *crazy dragons!?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Be very happy that she loves her greens and let her fill p on them. Her bug intake will vary but it sounds like she has a great appetite. :)

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
Hornworms (Goliath Worms) are nutritionally different from silkworms. Silkworms are crazy high in protein and they also contain Serrapeptase, which is a pain and inflammation reducer. Silkworms are superior feeders, but they are seasonal and pretty expensive. If you look at this chart: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

You can see Hornworms are best as treats, since they are 9% Protein and have a 1:3 Calcium to Phosphorous ratio, whereas Silkworms are 63.8% protein and have a 1:2.4 Ca:p.

Lastly, I would encourage you to get him tested for ADV (Adenovirus). You can get that done through here: http://www.thepats.info/sign_up.html

Tracey runs this project. Knowing the ADV status of your dragon will help you understand his needs in the future. Petco sources their reptiles from the mill Reptiles By Mac. They are severely abused there and our dragons would come in (I used to work at a Petco) frequently with Yellow Fungus and Adenovirus. ADV is very common in dragons nowadays and it's important to their status as it will determine whether or not they can be around other dragons, potential life-span, and care needed down the line. Dragons that have it but live through adolescence will often suffer from liver and intestinal damage and the virus can spread to the brain and spinal column. So just know their status and take care of them accordingly.

My dragon is ADV positive and doesn't look it, but I give him a daily slurry to keep him as healthy as I can.

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for all that information. Very helpful!

The adv is a concern as I have heard the petstore dragons are prone. I checked the link you provided, I'm not sure you are aware but that site is for breeders testing their dragons :(. I'm just a measly one dragon slave lol.

My bad! Just re read it .... and hobbyists!

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
Yes, I've used it before for my dragon! It's run by a member here, Drache613.

When I worked at a PetSmart, we had 5 dragons in a row have to be euthanized because of ADV, so it's very common.

For $19, it's nice to have peace of mind :)

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That makes me so sad to hear, I'm so sorry. It had crossed my mind as she stares at her light and the sun a lot.

I contacted them so thank you, I just need to see if I can find an affordable notary for the forms they need lol.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
I didn't need a notary at all. I just submitted the form, signed the disclosure form, and she sent the swab. It was all easy peasy and was only the payment for the test! Drache613 is super nice and to this day I PM or e-mail her for help dosing my little babe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom