Getting my dragon to eat Phoenix worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berryr386

I just bought my beardie some Phoenix worms and he won't eat them. I swear I have the most picky dragon there is. He will only eat crickets and I have such a hard time keeping those things alive. I can't get him to eat veggies, or the worms I just bought ( which, by the way, I ordered them through the mail and half were dead anyway :angry5: ). What do I do to give my boy some variety. Uggg. :banghead: he is by far the most difficult kid I have raised, lol.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
BSFL are usually pretty popular. Try to get them to wiggle around. Perhaps he'll go after one wiggling in your hand if you bring it to him. Others will go after a squirming bowl full of them. They tend to be attracted to the movement at first and then learn that they are a tasty treat.

Berryr386

Original Poster
He went after one, chewed it up a little then spit it out as if it were poison. :? Hasn't gone for one since. I'm confused. Everything I have read says they love those things.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Most of them do. They have different preferences though so maybe he doesn't like them much. Do you have any of the older ones that have turned black (right before they transform into flies)? Those are a bit crunchier and maybe he'd prefer those.

Berryr386

Original Poster
I'll have to look. I'm sure I do. I'll give that a try, but I bet he will just look at me like " I'm not eating that, are you nuts? Where's my crickets?" Lol. He's a young dragon too. Probably only 2 or 3 months. I've only had him almost a month now. He still acts like he is scared of me sometimes. That may be part of the problem, but he almost always eats from my hand.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes they just go through picky phases or enjoy a routine too. Probably worth another try down the line.

Berryr386

Original Poster
Success!!! I just got him to eat about 7 Phoenix worms. :D . I had to hand deliver them while he was on his basking rock of course :roll: , but he ate them. :blob5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexreynolds
Top Bottom