How much should he eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scubaspazz

90004-1360058305.jpg
Hello all! My family are newbie owners (Thanksgiving time) of a beardie named The Josh (I have 3 little boys, don't judge the name lol.) My local store was recently out of small crickets so they game me medium/large. How many should our beardie eat? He seems to be always hungry but don't know if that's a normal behavior. I believe I attached a pic of Josh (so you can see his size) as well as a pic of the crickets. Thanks so much!!!
90004-4885979947.jpg

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I see greens, good job. Offer greens and bugs daily, you can offer bugs 2-3 times a day. A dragon his size can eat until full. I usually offer greens first then offer bugs twice a day.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Such a young (juvenile) beardie should be eating 2/3 size crickets (medium size) twice per day. Thrice per even better if you can practically schedule it.

Contrary to the suggestion offered above, he / she needs more insect protein to grow and develop properly and lots of them (as many as he'll eat per sitting), I'd offer the salad after /with his 2nd bug meal to ensure he doesn't pig out on the salad and then be too full to eat his bugs.

He only looks about 3 - 4 months old, based on this 20-ish med crickets per day would be expected. He's a central beardie not a rankins dragon. Peppa & Toothless were on 3 live insect meals per day as indicated , the 3rd was 4 - 8 small (about 1.5" long) silkworms or up to 4 medium (about 2" long) silkworms presented on a fresh mulberry leaf with their greens and salad (mulberry leaves are edible and very good greens if the lizard will nibble them).

I suggest a weekly weighin and charting his growth so you can see when his grow is spurting or plateauing.

He's so cute!! =)

Please do ignore the bickering above~ <3

a few rules of thumb that most people seem to agree on are try not to feed anything larger than the space between your dragon's eyes.

Let younger dragons (like yours!) eat as much or as many bugs as they want per feeding. Sometimes mine eats 8 for breakfast. Sometimes he eats 12.

I offer both bugs and veggies. It's a good way to add vitamins to the diet, but also it helps you determine what your beardie likes or doesn't like. (...Skywalker hates blueberries, for example. Not a fan of Kale so far, either) So now, as he grows older, and adult dragons eat more veggies and fruit than bugs...I'll already know what he likes, and he will already be used to having it offered to him.

For now, I offer veggies in small amounts like treats more than meals. But he likes them!

scubaspazz

Original Poster
Thank you all for your responses! He gets fresh romaine and carrots daily. He also likes cantaloupe and hybiscus as a treat. Every time I put crickets in his cage he attacks with a vengeance so I wasn't sure if he was getting enough to eat. I'll experiment to see how many crickets he can eat in one sitting and go from there. Your responses were very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom