My new beardie eats only worms..!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic0ole

Hey there.

My beardie its about 3-4 months now. I only got her like 2-3 weeks from pet shop!

They told me they used to feed her only worms. And she still loves eating wax worms. She wont touch crickets or greens/veggies. Only worms. What can I do to change her diet!!

I cant just feed her 10 wax worms the day....!! She needs to eat some greens and I prefer to eat more cricket and 1-2 wax the day.. but how?? :roll:

Skipper7

Juvie Member
She shouldn't be a eating wax worms at all at that age. They are very fatty and not a good staple at all. Try ordering Phoenix worms online. They are very nutritious and somewhat similar looking to waxworms. Silk worms are also very good! You should get one or both of those AND dubia roaches or crickets. Roaches are better nutritionally than crickets, and the dragons often like them better.

Pet stores often give out terrible info and supplies for reptiles. It's not your fault. I'm glad you go on here to try to fix something.

Could you post pictures of the dragon and her setup? We all want whats best for him/her, but the shop probably sold you the wrong supplies. If you list the wattage and brand of each light, her substrate, tank size, and temperatures in the basking spot, cool side, and warm side we can help you out.

It's not your fault that they gave you incorrect info, but If your dragon doesn't have the proper lights and temperatures it can and will get very sick.

Nic0ole

Original Poster
Well about the setup I think i got the right lights because I did a lot of research! I've got her one EXO TERRA UVB fluorescence 10.0 one and for basking a EXO TERRA Solar Glo 125w (uvb,uva and heat together). Day temperature got 32-34 Celsius degrees and at the cooler places 27-29c. And at night got one EXO terra ceramic 100w 23-27 Celsius degrees where she sleeps and hides in her cave. Her enclosure is 80le x 45h x 40wi in cm. I don't listen at all what pet shop says about what lamps should I put on her house because they didn't had idea. And so they gave me just the worms because they don't have anything else except from crickets and wax worms :evil: I tried to feed her crickets I prefer then wax worms ofc but she doesn't eat them!! so I will ordered online roaches and silk worms!! If i find online shop that post it to Cyprus its a bit hard. Cyprus really don't have a lot worms to sell and this kind of stuff :( Any site you know to order online maybe??

Umm and how do I put photos here? Doesn't show me anywhere to upload photos!

Skipper7

Juvie Member
I'm glad you didn't just go with pet store advice. The UVB bulb you have is not the reccomended one. IT can be tough on the beardies eyes. It is highly reccomended to do a tube UVB bulb. Either the T8 or T5 HO bulbs. I'm not sure about the all-in-one bulbs. I'll wait for someone else to chime in on that.

The cool side temps are good, but the warm side could be higher. Right were she basks should be 40-42* C. The Ceramic heat emitter is great for at night. If your house doesn't drop below 19* you don't even need it, though. Keep in mind that you will need a bigger tank when she gets older. 40 gallons is the bare minimum.

I'll attach some sights for food below. Keep trying with crickets, or do dubia.

http://www.phoenixworm.com
http://www.symtonbsf.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html
https://www.megoris-feeders.com
https://www.dubideli.com
http://www.rainbowmealworms.net

Good luck! I'm glad you're invested in your new little guy and want what's best for him.

Nic0ole

Original Poster
Thank you:) Well yeah I realize I don't really like that UVB fluoresce 10.0 one because from that day I put that sometimes she close her eyes.. is it better the t8 one from zoo med?? which one? the all in one I think its good not sure. I will do her a bigger enclosure soon :) But isn't it too hot to go 42 degrees? :O because the 34C she gets on her bask spot most of the time she goes away and stays more in cooler places! Ceramic heater sometime I remove it when the house gets too hot and I put her a lower watt one like 75 so its better!! I am trying to learn her to eat greens and veggies but she never touch it:( And she is a girl! :D

Thanks for the sites! I check them out :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Nic0ole":fgz0yhk4 said:
Thank you:) Well yeah I realize I don't really like that UVB fluoresce 10.0 one because from that day I put that sometimes she close her eyes.. is it better the t8 one from zoo med?? which one? the all in one I think its good not sure. I will do her a bigger enclosure soon :) But isn't it too hot to go 42 degrees? :O because the 34C she gets on her bask spot most of the time she goes away and stays more in cooler places! Ceramic heater sometime I remove it when the house gets too hot and I put her a lower watt one like 75 so its better!! I am trying to learn her to eat greens and veggies but she never touch it:( And she is a girl! :D

Thanks for the sites! I check them out :)

A bearded dragon's preferred body temperature is 38degCels

Ideal basking spot temperature is 40-42degC for a bearded dragon. 34degC is more like the basking temperature I run for my skinks (Eastern Water Skink, Blue Tongue Skinks) and a bit too cool for a beardie to be able to properly metabolise it's food.

At 3 - 4 months old she's still a hatchling, and needs a minimum of two live insect meals per day , you can also offer her some shedded greens (buk or buk choi are very good and they seem to like the taste) and some grated carrot and sweet potato , but don't stress if she turns her nose up the greens and veg , if she eats them it's a bonus.

I run 26W UVB200 compacts mounted in NanoHoods in my beardie tank and rearing tubs. These are excellent (my beardies bask about 8in from these UV lights).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom