Baby Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! My name is Caitlyn!

I have a young beardie named Aela. She is a little over a month and a half old. All I have been feeding her are small crickets and sometimes banana bits, which she LOVES.

She is up to eating over 15 small crickets in one sitting. I have been told that that is too much for her, but she hasnt showed any signs of discomfort or pain. She is pooping normally and everything.

It has gotten pretty "expensive" to keep buying 50 small crickets every couple of days, and now I am up to buying 100 small crickets.

So i looked up some snacks for her to eat through the day so she has variety and I wouldnt have to only feed her crickets. They didnt specify if these could only be fed to adults, or both adults and babies.

I have some chopped kale, is that okay to feed a young beardie? any foods i should stray from until she gets older??

cattlynnrose

Original Poster
I will definitely check out buying crickets online. I had no idea I could even do that! And yeah, I have read not to feed them that. I gave her some meal worms and it was hysterical! She seemed to really enjoy them! Thank you both!

A good base for bearded dragon salads are collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, and dandelion greens. Kale is okay, but it contains spinach in it which isnt good for dragons. Make sure to never EVER feed the lettuce such as iceburg or romaine. They have no nutritional value and they will burn more calories from digesting it than they get from the lettuce itself. Good things to put in their salads are sweet peppers (never spicy), butternut squash, bananas, and blueberrys. Stay away from acidic fruits such as Lemons, oranges, grapefruit, etc.. I started giving my dragon organic baby food. He seems to really like the carrots, banana, and peas. I absolutley hate crickets. Once your dragon gets to where they eat the large ones you will understand. The are loud, smelly, and dirty. I switched over to dubai roaches. They are a lot cheaper (500 for about $25) and they have a lot of sizes. The are quiet, don't smell, very low maintence, and basically thrive of neglegance. You dont want to feed your dragon worms such as mealworms or superworms until they get about 10-16 inches long. I really hoped this helped!

Maddog

cattlynnrose":2ns1bjog said:
I will definitely check out buying crickets online. I had no idea I could even do that! And yeah, I have read not to feed them that. I gave her some meal worms and it was hysterical! She seemed to really enjoy them! Thank you both!

Hello cattlynnrise,

I get my crickets from this place good prices check it out.

http://www.rainbowmealworms.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom