Cutting canned crickets in half

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolbecem

I have a baby beardie and can't get live crickets where I live at the moment. I bought some canned crickets that are unfortunately too large to feed to my dragon. Could I simply cut them into bite size pieces or would that still be hard for him to digest?

Thanks in advance!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How old and big (weight in grams) is your baby beardie ?

IMO the best place for canned crickets is in the garbage bin, or mixed in with the garden mulch (as fertiliser).

LIVE CRICKETS who have been gutloaded with calcium rich greens and carrot and repcal adult beardie pellets are the go.

I wouldn't be wasting my money buying canned crickets as a lizard staple.

If you have a baby beardie (they are called hatchlings BTW) and it's under 3 months old you should be giving it three live insect feeds per day .

Suitable insects for hatchling beardie are:
----BSF maggots (known as phoenix worms or calcigents or calciworms) .... excellent staple feeder insect
----silkworms , for a small hatchling (7 - 50g) I recommend small (1- 1.5" long) silkworms ..... these are also an excellent staple feeder insect
----gut loaded calcium dusted crickets or roaches (I'd recommend 20day old - 1/3 size crickets) ,also an excellent staple feeder insect.
---blowfly maggots , pupae and the flies are good too (but likely a bit small and short lived (as maggots).

If you can't buy live feeder insects (listed above) locally from petshops (A VERY EXPENSIVE WAY OF GETTING THEM BTW) , you should google for local (in your country) insect breeders and buy them in bulk by mailorder.

I know of a guy in NZ who can not source live insects under $1 each locally and has been been forced to raise his beardie on GRUBPIE. This is an option perhaps.

I would not give a hatchling mealworms, superworms, butterworms, waxworms or hornworms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom