Rep-Cal Juvenile Bearded Dragon Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

delfiend

I was gonna get this stuff when I get my new bearded dragon. You know, just to make sure he's getting his vitamins and minerals. But check out these ingredients. These were not found on the Rep-Cal website, as they were not provided. Instead, Petco provides the ingredients of all the food they sell on their website.

pPETS-3756186t300x300.jpg

Ingredients:

Ground Wheat, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry Byproduct Meal, Soy Hulls, Soybean Meal, Dried Apple Pomace, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Ascorbic Acid, Choline Chloride, Dried Beet Pulp, Vegetable Oil, Methionine Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, D-Activated Animal Sterol (Source of Vitamin D3), Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (Source of Vitamin K), Cobalt Carbonate, Inositol, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Folic Acid, Artificial Color, Natural Flavor.
Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min) 29%, Crude Fat (min) 2%,Crude Fiber (max) 12%, Moisture (max) 12%.

... yum..? :?

This reminds me of one of those organic dog food commercials. Corn Gluten Meal? Poultry Byproduct Meal?

So I looked this stuff up when I was looking at the ingredients in the Bearded Dragon pellets from Exo-Terra. These were actually found on Exo-Terra's website. Can't tell if it's really any better.

PT3230-PT3231_Soft_Pellets_Bearded_Dragon_Juvenile.jpg

Juvenile
Ingredients: Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten Meal, Rice Hulls, Dried Earthworm, Fish Oil, Textured Soy Protein Product, Rice Bran, Dried Lima Bean, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Aluminum Calcium Silicate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Yeast Extract, Silicon Dioxide, Licorice, Dried Endive, Anise, Garlic Powder, Ground Chinese Cassia, Aloe Vera Gel Concentrate, Paprika, Ginger, Potato Meal, Juniper Extract, Papaya, Ethoxyquin (preservative), Vitamin A Acetate, Cholecalciferol (source of Vitamin D3), Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, d-Calcium Pantothenate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Inositol, Biotin, Niacin, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate.

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min): 30.0 %, Crude Fat (min): 4.0 %, Crude Fiber (max): 12.0 %, Moisture (max): 8.0 %, Calcium (min): 0.8 %, Calcium (max): 1.2 %, Phosphorus (min): 0.5 %, Vitamin A (min): 20 IU/lb, Vitamin D3 (min): 10 IU/lb

I read somewhere that some protein or whatnot in fish is bad for your beardie. So I don't know how I feel about the fish meal being the second ingridient.

Oh and, P.S., the pellet food isn't going to replace live food, it's just to make sure my beardie gets all his vitamins and minerals and maybe as a protein substitute for a day in the time I'm ordering more food and trying to establish colonies.

Bring on the opinions, please!! :D

Honestly my Beardie has had absolute zero interest in any kind of pellet food I've ever attempted to give him. Even after not feeding him at all for almost two days while waiting on a shipment of crickets to come in. All of the ones I've tried, which include the ones you have listed, have a very noticeable odor after only one day. In my experience, the only things they have been are a total waste of money and a solid source of frustration. :banghead:

Instead of using the B.S. pellet food that pet stores love to sell, I use a combination of fresh veggies to provide my Beardie the nutrients he needs. Along with his dubia, crickets, and superworms of course.

Here's an awesome list and guide that I use...
http://kittyrobbins.com/beardie_veggie_chart.html

Of course, this is just my opinion, ultimately it's your decision on how you want to raise your Beardie. I'm willing to bet that the little guy won't touch the pellets though. :wink:

Firebonbon

Hatchling Member
I'm using the exact same brand, except mine is the adult kind. My beardie eats them with no problem because that's what he's had his whole life and he seems healthy. I do question the ingredients... I might try switching him to fresh veggies with insects eventually. Do you all think I should?
And the stuff smells sort of interesting... After a while it makes my room smell like bad mashed potatoes.... :? At least that's what I think it smells like.

delfiend

Original Poster
From what I understand, its near impossible to get a bearded dragon to eat greens if they haven't been eating them since they were young. But greens are better for bearded dragons than pellets. Certain greens like collard greens and dandelion greens are super high in calcium too. If you want to give him greens, try mixing them with the pellets or mealworms. :)

Just remember that an adult should be eatinf around 80% veggies and only 20% insects and animal protein. Too much animal protein can cause problems like gout and liver and kidney problems.

icelore

Juvie Member
Neither pellet is great, but out of the two, the second is certainly better. My dragon won't eat pellets much. I occasionally drop a few on his salad to give it some color and get him interested. He likes them better if they are moist. The best thing to do with them I've found is....feed them to the crickets he's about to eat. lol The crickets go nuts for dragon pellets! They carry them around and fight over them.

delfiend

Original Poster
I found another made by Zoo Med.

zoojuvbeard.jpg

Ingredients:
Dehulled Soybean Meal, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Soybean Hulls, Dried Lima Beans, Rice Bran, Whole Ground Wheat, Fish Meal, Escarole, Endive, Calcium Carbonate, Glycerin, Marigold Petal Extract, Menhaden Oil, Yeast Culture, Dried Dandelion Greens, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Soy Lecithin, Direct-Fed Microorganisms (Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Enterococcus faecium, and Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Products), Dried Yeast, Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Garlic Extract, Anise Extract, Chinese Cassia Bark Extract, Ginger Extract, Horseradish, Juniper Extract, Natural Flavoring, Yucca schidigera, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of stabilized Vitamin C), Zinc Methionine Complex, Selenium Yeast, Vitamin E Supplement, preserved with natural Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Choline Chloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate (source of Vitamin B5), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Chloride, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (Min) 24.0 %Crude Fat (Min) 3.0 %Crude Fiber (Max) 13.0 %Moisture (Max) 13.0 %Ash (Max) 10.0 Calcium (Min) 0.8 Calcium (Max) 1.2 %Phosphorus (Min) 0.5 %Sodium (Max) 0.3 %

Seems like it has better ingredients than the others, thought the pellets themselves are just like little alfalfa pellets.

Let's compare the three:

Protein
Rep-Cal 29% min
Exo Terra 30% min
Zoo Med 24% min

Fat
Rep-Cal 2% min
Exo Terra 4% min
Zoo Med 3% min

Fiber
Rep-Cal 12% max
Exo Terra 12% max
Zoo Med 13% max

Moisture
Rep-Cal 12% max
Exo Terra 8.0% max
Zoo Med 13.0% max

Ash
Rep-Cal N/A
Exo Terra N/A
Zoo Med 10% max

Calcium
Rep-Cal N/A
Exo Terra 0.8% - 1.2%
Zoo Med 0.8% - 1.2%

Phosphorus
Rep-Cal N/A
Exo Terra 0.5% min
Zoo Med 0.5% min

Vitamin A
Rep-Cal N/A
Exo Terra 20 IU/lb
Zoo Med N/A

Vitamin D3
Rep-Cal N/A
Exo Terra 10 IU/lb
Zoo Med N/A

Sodium
Rep-Cal N/A
Exo Terra N/A
Zoo Med 0.3% max

Conclusion:
- Rep-Cal isn't highest in anything and has no vitamins and minerals analysis.

- Exo Terra is highest in protein, fat, vitamin A, and vitamin D3; it's tied for calcium and phosphorus.

- Zoo Med is highest in fiber, moisture, ash, and sodium; it's tied for calcium and phosphorus.

Exo Terra's food seems to be the winner!
PT3230-PT3231_Soft_Pellets_Bearded_Dragon_Juvenile.jpg

However, Zoo Med's food is "NATURAL", and is made with natural food like Escarole, Endive, and Dried Dandelion leaves..
zoojuvbeard.jpg

icelore

Juvie Member
Just like with dog foods, while looking at the guaranteed analysis is important, looking at the beginning of the list of ingredients is usually more so. The first few items on the list are what makes up the pellet itself. The list goes in descending order of the quantity used, so that's where you look for the quality. For instance, with dog food - if one is higher protein then the other, but it's primary ingredient is corn - that's terrible. Corn isn't even digestible, and that means that the protein is coming from another, sometimes synthetic and unhealthy, source. You could have a proteins coming from beans or meat, and while both are technically protein, they are totally different in how the body digests and absorbs them.

So if you just look at that:

Reptical: Ground Wheat, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry Byproduct Meal, Soy Hulls, Soybean Meal, Dried Apple Pomace, etc.
- Ground wheat is an ok grain. It's digestible, but not very nutritious. Corn is just a no in almost every animal food. It's a filler, period. Poultry byproduct is an animal meat source, and while not the best source, it is third on the list, so that's good. Soybean hulls are useless - they're just shell hulls used as filler. Soybean meal is a bean source of protein. After that you get into the additives and other tings that make up the last small portion of the food.
- Verdict: Wheat as the base isn't horrible, but a lot negative points for corn. Only one source of animal protein in the first 5 ingredients is less then optimal, but at least it's third in line.

Exo-Terra:Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten Meal, Rice Hulls, Dried Earthworm, Fish Oil, Textured Soy Protein Product, etc.
- Applying the same analysis method, alfalfa is a plant product used as the base of this food, but it's not very easily digested, is very fibrous, and is mostly just fiber. Fish meal is a decent source of animal protein, and it's second on the list - yay! Wheat is the same as above, only ground flour is even more processed, and gluten is a protein byproduct of wheat used to hold the the pellet together. Rice hulls, again, shells are useless filler. Earthworm is an animal protein source and good, fish oil is a supplement, and soy protein product is a bean protein.
- Verdict: No corn, yay for that, but alfalfa is a crappy product base. Two sources of animal protein is good, but they are fish based, and it seems like most of the additional protein comes from the wheat gluten and soy beans.

Zoo Med: Dehulled Soybean Meal, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Soybean Hulls, Dried Lima Beans, Rice Bran, Whole Ground Wheat, Fish Meal, etc.
- Soybean meal as the main ingredient is digestible, but means that the most of this food's protein is bean based. Alfalfa is the same as above, primarily used for fiber. Hulls are useless, then more bean protein in the form in lima, and grain filler in the form of rice bran and ground wheat (at least it's whole wheat and not over processed). Finally an animal protein , but it's fish, which isn't high up on the list of animal protein sources that I'd like to see for a BD.
- Verdict: Eww. Too much bean protein and fiber filler, not nearly enough animal proteins!

From content analysis alone, I would say that the RepCal and ExoTerra are even, but both have negative points against them. The ZooMed is just a no. The overall protein analysis in the RepCal is similar to the ExoTerra (29% vs 30%) but it actually comes from an animal source. Both have filler, but at least soy filler has some decent protein to it, where as I'm not big on wheat gluten. Major negatives for the RepCal corn. Also, the animal protein in the ExoTerra is mostly fish based, which I personally don't think is the best/natural source for a BD. They don't strike me as big fishers in the wild, yeah? 8)

In the end, none of them are great,and if it wasn't for the corn, I'd choose the RepCal hands down. If I had to feed them to my dragon, I'd use them both and mix them. lol Or grind up the ExoTerra (alfalfa fiber) and add it to babyfood to give it more nutrition and substance.

Now, if you have a dog, go look at it's food an check out what it's actually made of. :) And remember if you have a cat, or god forbid ferret, those two are obligate carnivores and can't even digest grains, etc. In pet foods, a real meat (or more then one!) should be listed first and often, and remember that corn has absolutely no nutritional value in pet food. :) But you'll be surprised if you've never looked!

delfiend

Original Poster
Thanks Icelore!!! :)

I do look at the ingredients when I pick out food for my variety of pets, but since I don't buy the dog food (my mom does), I wasn't very sure what half the ingridents in the bearded dragon food even were! I mean, Poultry Biproduct Meal? I sounds like they made the food out of chicken poo! :lol:

But I do make sure to read the ingredients in pet foods and make sure I get the best stuff. For my guinea pig Skittles, I made sure to find a pellet made with timothy hay as the first ingredient instead of alfalfa, as timothy hay is high in the vitamin c guinea pigs need. Of course, oat hulls and sun-cured alfalfa meal are the next two ingredients, but compared to a LOT of other advertised "guinea pig food" out there, it's pretty good stuff. Especially the stuff with the flowers and herbs added. Skittles loves flowers! :D On top of that, he gets fresh timothy hay everyday, as well as a salad of fresh greens, veggies, and occasionally fruits.

When I went shopping for my catfish to get him some algae (the main food that goes into the take is animal protein based, for the oscar and dempsey), and I found out that a big name brand for fish food had corn something or another as the first ingredient! So I bought a smaller name brand that had Spirulina algae meal as the first. My oscar and little dempsey eat Jumbo Sticks, which have shrimp meal, wheat gluten, wheat starch, krill (freeze dried), and fish meal as the first few ingredients.

My hermit crabs are the spoiled ones! :) I buy them food from http://www.hermitcrabpatch.com who makes their own hermit crab foods. My little babies eat four different types: crushed oyster shells, a mineral supplement, 100% organic worm castings (basically dirt), and Surf n Turf, with 6 ingredients: Freeze dried combination of Mysis shrimp, Brine shrimp, Plankton, Krill, Bloodworms, and Mealworms. YUM! :wink:

So, since I do my best to get the best of food for all my other pets, I naturally want to have the best for my bearded dragon when he becomes a part of the family. Maybe I'll just look for less of a staple sort of food and more a treat sort of food, like Nature Zone Bites for Bearded Dragons. Snagged the ingredients for them:
p-16371-60875-reptile.jpg

Water, whey protein, soy protein, spray dried egg product, maltodextrin, surcorse, fructose carrageenan, locust bean gum, lecithin, calcium carbonate, wheat germ oil, natural and artificial flavor, calcium lactate, potassium chloride, sodium benzoate, methylparaben, betacarotene, lycopene, beet powder, propylparaben, ogliofructose, yucca schidigera extract, choline chloride, iron amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, F D & C red 40, F D & C blue 1, sodium selenite, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, manganese amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, vitamin B12, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, calcium pantothenate, vitamin D3, calcium iodate, biotin.

Hmm.... maybe Zoo Med's Tropical Fruit Mix-Ins Mango & Papaya. Only got a couple of simple ingredients:
57303__1.jpg

Mango. Papaya, Water (sufficient for processing), Guar Gum, Vegetable Oil, Potassium Chloride

Disclaimer:
These products, of course, if used, will be a part of a diet consisting mainly of fresh, bearded dragon-safe greens such as collared greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, endive, etc., and live, gut-loaded insects of the appropriate size including crickets, dubia, phoenix worms, etc.
Thank you.

icelore

Juvie Member
I really like the ZooMed line of canned fruit. They have 2 or 3, and I give them to my rats. XD

delfiend - That's awesome that you have put time into learning what kind of nutrition your pets need! It's it crazy how many popular and well known companies put out food that is just really bad? Crazy. I guess they depend on people not knowing what they are looking for and just buying based on name or price - which unfortunately a lot of people do. :( When I was a teenager (a long time ago - lol) I started working with animal rescue groups and learned SO MUCH abut proper nutrition for different animals and how it really can impact them. I"m happy I did because now I can find good quality food for all my animals and still pay less then popular "grocery store" brands.

delfiend

Original Poster
Its sort of a weird obsession, but whenever I start to want to get a certain pet, I can't do enough research!! I spends HOURS (11+) day after day pouring over care shets and articles and websites, making PowerPoints and Excel charts, making drawings and diagrams, and even laying awake at nigjt fantasizing about what it'd be like to finally have that pet. My friends think it's weird. My parents think it's strange. But I just CANNOT stand to be in the dark about stuff as important as a living breathing thing! It seems everytime I get a new pet, I join a forum. There's no better way to get very specific answers when you need them! :)

I was talking to one of the reptile ladies at my local Petco during their Reptile Rally today. I think she's impressed. Or feels inferior. I had done my research.

Oh, and I'm SUPER EXCITED!!! :D Just made everything final and ordered my bearded dragon supplies today! I decided not to get any food for my beardie just yet until I do more studying and pondering. But I did get an infrared thermometer instead of a probe one. It was a lot of money for the tight budget I have, but I'm sure it'll be worth it! :)

wulfie

Hatchling Member
I haven't gotten my beardie yet either, but he'll be here on Wednesday the 18th. I've got everything set up, exo terra 36x18x18 viv, 36" zoo med hood with basking spot and reptisun 10.0 uvb, furnishings, etc. Breeder is also shipping 300+ dubia, I will NOT be raising a colony, may buy 200 at a time online, also going to get micro super worms and small phoenix worms. I too picked up some rep-cal pellets as well as those baby bearded dragon bites, but will only be using those as a filler as the breeder told me that he's already eating veggies, YEAH! :D

delfiend

Original Poster
Sounds like you've got everything you need! I can't get my beardie until July 20th :( I wish I could get him sooner, but I couldn't bear to leave him with some inexperienced pet sitter for several weeks!! :(

I'm getting 200 crickets with my order, and them I'm ordering 50 small dubia, 500 criclets, and 100 tiny mealworms, along with an Exo Terra Cricket Feeding Rock to reduce the amount of those little devils running around in my beardie's cage! I would start a dubia colony, but my mother will NOT stand to have roaches kept in the house. Even ones that are slow and can't climb or make any noise...

I'll convince her yet!!

icelore

Juvie Member
wulfie":39k55jt6 said:
yeah, I'm thinking of order those 'snack packs' from mulberry farms, comes with 300 small phoenix worms and 1000 micro superworms for $30 http://bit.ly/12OU1Tp and that includes shipping :D
If you've never had phoenix worms - be prepared for how small they are! The small ones are about the size of long grain rice. lol Make sure you take the time to fatten them up some before feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom