Can I feed baby bearded dragons to my bearded dragon ?? !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if its healthy for a adult bearded dragon to eat there babies as I'm going to have a lot of them hatching ? Also I mixed critical care formular with squash and chicken baby food to give to one of my adults that was not eating much is this okay ? As it says to mix with water but they don't drink water .

steph2one11

Hatchling Member
Omg! why would you do that.... If you don't want the baby beardies, post them in the free section, I'm sure plenty of people would want them.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
That's what I'm hoping too. :shock:
And no, it's not really healthy for a bearded dragon to eat other reptiles no matter how small. I wouldn't risk it.
But as for your critical care question, it's fine to mix it with babyfood but it's also fine to mix it with water, even if your dragons don't usually drink water. You can always adjust the amount of water in the critical care to make it more or less liquid-like. :)

Friscoandlilly

Original Poster
Thanks for the critical care answer been worried that I shouldn't have gave her baby food as its got ingredients you wouldn't find in the wild such as salt , an no this is not me taking the piss I genuenly thought it would be really healthy for them as they are fresh new babies and iv seen all kinds of videos of people feeding them anoles and scorpions and geckos on YouTube. But don't worry yourselfs people my male and female dragon are only 10 months old at the moment in seperate tanks now as he kept tryig it on with her and hes already a monster weighing 510g but she's 385g anyone know if she would be considered under weight ?

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
A healthy weight is usually based on the dragon's length, so do you have measurements? It's possible that your female could be underweight from being bullied by the male though. (dragons aren't very neighborly with other critters, lol :?)

And yeah! I've heard of those types of videos on YouTube but I don't have the guts to look them up, lol. Unfortunately what they usually don't tell you is what happens to the poor dragon afterwards :( Plus if whatever got eaten is carrying viruses/bacteria/fungus, that could get transferred to the dragon as well.

About the babyfood- too much salt/sugars/weird chemicals isn't too great, but luckily they do sell "all-natural" babyfoods that don't have any added stuff. Try to get the Stage 1 kind (the type for the youngest baby age group); those usually don't have additives except maybe a bit of water. :) The regular grocery stores near me carry Stage 1 all-natural babyfood, but if the ones near you don't have any then a health food store should definitely have some.

Friscoandlilly

Original Poster
He's just under 20inchs and she's 16.5 inches would you say they are a healthy weight ? I took them to the vets just over a month ago and the vet said she is under weight and the fecial test showed that they had pin worms (this was when they lived in the same tank) so they gave me Medicine for the worms after few days using it i seen little white worms in there poo (yes it was discusting even for me) so because shes under weight iv been feeding her everything , mini meal worms and wax worms now and then and loads of cockroaches but she will not touch crickets anymore for some reason even though she used to go through about 40 a day easily , she's just being picky I think because shes tasted other bugs , buts its just exspencive buying these roaches all the time £15 for 100 of them

smeegy

Bearded dragons definitely drink water. I keep a water dish in my Rocko's viv. Everytime I bathe him he drinks up a bunch of the bath water. Just because the are a desert animal does not by any means mean that they don't drink water.

Crickets can cary a lot of parasites. Now that my beardie is old enough I never buy them anymore. Not to mention they stink!

smeegy

Another note: If you do decide to breed your beardies, be responsible and make sure you have buyers first..
Second: As soon as the eggs are left by the female, you are to remove them right away and put them into an incubator...because the male will actually eat the eggs and hurt the babies.

Friscoandlilly

Original Poster
in the 10months iv had them not one of them has drank water even when i spray it on there mouth the dont open it never go near the water dish and in the bath head is always sticking above the water :?
IMG_0083.jpg

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Friscoandlilly":1b4ps1b0 said:
in the 10months iv had them not one of them has drank water even when i spray it on there mouth the dont open it never go near the water dish and in the bath head is always sticking above the water :?
IMG_0083.jpg

They don't always drink standing water. Some do, some don't. Whenever you bathe them and let them soak, they'll take water up through their vent and sometimes they'll poop in the water. They don't usually drink any water in the bath unless they're really thirsty (mine doesn't.) If you want to make sure they're hydrated, mist their salads. I do that for Melody whenever I feed her her greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom