is there anything besides crickets a baby can eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeggieLoven

Hatchling Member
my baby beardy doesn't eat many crickets he will eat like one and then doesn't touch the rest. I'm worried about how much protein he is getting is there anything else i can feed him besides crickets. or is there any way i can get him to eat more crickets?

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
If a baby isn't eating well, there's usually an underlying reason and not just because they don't like a feeder. Have you checked your temperatures recently and how long have you had him? You could try dubias, reptiworms, silkworms, hornworms, or even turkey baby food as alternatives to crickets.

VeggieLoven

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ive had him for four days and he eats the crickets fine if i put then right infront of his face but he doesnt like to chace them down even though i take off there back leggs and shake them so their slow

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Ahh it could be just the relocation stress. He could keep this up for up to 2 weeks from the day you get him, but he should slowly increase the amount of crickets he eats as days pass. Make sure that his basking temp is around 100-110F measured with a probe thermometer and he should be fine.

VeggieLoven

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
okay thanks i have noticed he eats a little more every day so that must b it is there anything i can do to make him less stressed

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Basically try not to change anything around him. Keep to a schedule and keep the interior of his tank the exact same. If you notice him getting stressed looking out, you could cover 3 sides of his tank.

When I first got HH, she was incredibly skittish (still is really) but whenever she sees me moving to the dubia bin below her tank, she'll start getting excited and watch me count out her dubia. She increased her intake from just a few dubia to about 15 a feeding now.

VeggieLoven

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
okay i did cover the cage with construction paper and yeah percys real skittish but he watches me when i get his crickets out

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah give him another week to settle in and if he's still not eating well by then, it might be cause for concern. These little guys really hate change.

Also, I've noticed that both of my beardies are shy eaters, and will immediately stop eating if I watch them. So maybe pour in some crickets and leave the room for a bit. Make sure you take out any tank furniture that they could potentially hide in or under though. I keep furniture in my tanks simple just for that reason and to make it easier to clean.

VeggieLoven

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
the crickets do hide under folds in the news paper but he makes them because he likes to sleep under it at night

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Oh make sure to take out all the crickets before he goes to sleep at night. I've seen several cases where crickets have bitten through a beardie's scales and made a rather nasty sore. He might not like this suggestion at all but a lot of people feed their beardies in a separate tank or enclosure so that they don't have to worry about removing feeders all the time.

Hey there! Wonder how your dragon is doing. I'm a new owner, but I have noticed Monster (our beardie) gets annoyed with chasing the crickets. It has been cold lately here, and there have been two instances where keeping them in the car for about an hour or two, the crickets start to slow down, they do that when they get cold!! so instead of hopping all over the place, they walk incredibly slow. Monster LOVES cold crickets and eats SO many!! I would double check now that I think about it, maybe cold food isn't perfect for them? But he seems to be doing just fine..

VeggieLoven

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
he was doing much better when i upped his tempurature but the light bulb melted the plasic on the cage so i had to switch to a colder one. which caused him to go back to barly eating ill b lucky if i can get 5 in him a day he also got treated for parasites a couple days ago so idk if that has anything to do with it. ill try puting the crickets in the freezer (its not very cold here) maybe that will help

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Have you checked your temperatures while doing all that bulb changing? If your temps are too low, it's going to inhibit proper digestion, which can prove fatal to a bearded dragon. You need to make sure that your temperatures are between 100-110F in the basking spot. If your bulbs are melting the plastic, then maybe it's time to change enclosures. What are you housing him in that has plastic?

Could have to do with the medicine. I would call your vet and ask.

I have a 100 watt heat lamp and 75 watt heat lamp in my enclosure, along with a 10.0 reptisun UVB light (the light holder is less expensive if purchased at a home improvement store ie; home depot or lowes) and he is about 2 months old and 10 inches long including tail, and in a 55 gallon fish tank. His lights have melted the plastic siding of the fishtank before, but only if its directly overtop of the plastic edging for a good amount of time.
His temperatures are perfect all day every day, if that gives you an idea.

You should invest in an electronic thermometer, they run about $20-$40, (plus shipping if ordered online)

Also, are you making sure he gets enough vitamin? you should dust his crickets in calcium at least once every other day.

In my opinion a 55 gallon aquarium is a good size for a growing beardie, it doesn't stunt their growth like smaller sizes (which i think sounds unhealthy) and they have so much more room to run! I got my 55 on sale last year for $50 (they can run up to $140) and they seem to go on sale a lot throughout the year,.. also you can check craigslist, or even ask family and friends if they have any extra they are willing to sell (easy way to ask-- facebook!)

bearded dragons are expensive. We have only had him almost 2 months and here is my estimated list of costs...
Tank $50.00
UVB Light $20.00
UVB Light Case $23.00
Basking Lights $25.00
Light Fixtures $22.00
ReptiCarpet $20.00 (DO NOT use sand, you can use newspaper, try to tuck edges in so he doesn't eat the edges)
Calcium Dust $7.00
Cricket Gel $7.00
Water Bowl $10.00
Basking Spot $20.00 (bought a decor tree from petstore)
Leaves $10.00 (I bought some from craft store, washed them, and hot glued suction cups on)
Cricket Bin $5.00 (use storage bin to save money, poke holes in the top for air, crickets also last longer.)
Feeding Bin $5.00 (you can use normal storage bins to save money)
and at least $200.00 in crickets thus far, but would only be about $75.00 if I had ordered crickets online the whole time

and keep in mind... thats not everything I'm using... just what I feel are the essentials..

(lets not forget the $98.00 vet bill when his eye wouldn't open up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom