Beardie Nutrition Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

tattykassy

Juvie Member
Thank you for posting this! I wasn't aware this chart existed but I found it to be quite informative! I'll definitely be changing the way I feed my dragon :)

TheVillan

So, according to this list, the only 'green' live foods are silk worms and phoenix worms, which are difficult to get in the UK.

I'm having to feed a mix of mini mealworms, crickets and butterworms....none of which are green in that list.

TheVillan":o7b3w29z said:
So, according to this list, the only 'green' live foods are silk worms and phoenix worms, which are difficult to get in the UK.

I'm having to feed a mix of mini mealworms, crickets and butterworms....none of which are green in that list.

I found this interesting as well, I've been feeding crickets almost exclusively because that's all Chewie seems to have an appetite for. I've heard several different reports of how often crickets should be fed, ranging from every day to an occasional treat. Anyone have more information, or a bad experience with feeding crickets daily?

techdave

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Crickets are a common staple food. Personally, I don't feed Tiamat crix anymore.
There are better choices out there, such as dubia roaches. Criz are loud, smelly and don't last very long.They have been known to nibble toes and eyelids and such when the beardie is sleeping.

TheVillan

I don't leave the crickets in the viv, but I'm having to go to ridiculous lengths to feed them.

I tried a smaller feeding tank, but my beardies just didn't eat - all they wanted to do was get out of the tank.

I tried the refrigerator trick, cooling the crickets for 20 minutes and then feeding the sluggish crickets, but they were warming up too quickly and becoming difficult to catch.

Now I have to catch 1 cricket from my cricket tank, pinch it's back legs with my fingernails to cripple it's big jumping legs, then put it in the viv. My 2 beardies then have a race to catch it, but they gobble them up easily.

They are only 9 weeks old, so I'm sure they will become more adept at catching crickets....and will start eating more veg.

techdave

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Are the beardies kept in the same viv?

As for the veggies, they probably won't start really eating veggies until they are about a year old. Right now they are probably just nibbling on them, right? All perfectly normal. Right now they need about 90% protein so they can grow to their adult size. They will eventually start eating more veggies, but for now, just make sure that your feeders are properly gutloaded.

TheVillan

techdave":3bm8huze said:
Are the beardies kept in the same viv?

As for the veggies, they probably won't start really eating veggies until they are about a year old. Right now they are probably just nibbling on them, right? All perfectly normal. Right now they need about 90% protein so they can grow to their adult size. They will eventually start eating more veggies, but for now, just make sure that your feeders are properly gutloaded.

Yes, I have a large viv and my 2 beardies (well, my daughter's beardies :wink: ) are sisters that we bought at the same time. They seem to get on well and interact with each other all the time.

And yeah, they only nibble at the veggies.

Yesterday evening, when I fed them, they were grabbing the crickets out of my hand and even had a tug of war with a couple of them. So, it would seem that all I have to do is take the cricket tank into the room and they spot it and are ready and waiting for them.

techdave

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Even if the beardies are from the same clutch, it's highly discouraged to house them together. They may be getting along fine now, but one will end up dominating the other. It could lead to a fight in which one beardie may end up severely injured or dead. Beardies are solitary animals, coming together only to breed, then they go their separate ways.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Just to clarify to the above poster (sorry its a bit late but...) The insects are ranked healthy by just the insect itself. Gutloading your feeders, like crickets for example, makes them much more healthy to eat. And that goes for all feeder insects.

-Brandon

sillyjax30

Thank you, TechDave, for the posting!
I have my first beardie of about 5 months and am trying to soak up as much info as possible...I really appreciate the link you provide.

Thank you! :blob5:

My beardie, Josefina Liz, also thanks you:
HappyDragon.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom