Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.
[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]
Ok so my pet store owner told me to allow my 7 week old beardie to bask in the sun at least ten minutes a day so while we were doing that my son found these things:
1) A teeny, tiny baby frog. Smaller than my pinky finger nail, and I"m a chick.
2) What appeared to be either a mosquito or a mosquito eater;
3) A teeny, VERY teeny worm; and
4) An earthworm that broke in half when we picked him up.
Are any of these things acceptable for Illidan?
Thank you in advance!!
No, you don't want to feed them anything from outside: They can get some pretty nasty parasites.
Although dandelions are great for them, if they are washed well and are from a pesticide and chemical free lawn!
I would never recommend feeding your beardie anything from outside. You don't know where the insects have been, what they have eaten, or what they have crawled on. Just stick with store bought foods; crickets, meal worm, roaches, phoenix worms etc... Taking the risk of feeding them anything otherwise isn't really worth it... especially when your dragon can end up with parasites or being sick and the dreaded vet bills.
Yeah, just because your lawn has no pesticides doesn't mean those bugs have never been in yards that do have pesticides. It's just not worth the risk.
Dandelions are OK because they don't exactly travel from yard to yard LOL, but no buggies or animals from outside.
Thanks...unfortunately he nabbed up the teeny baby worm right away..but I took away the other things.
Frogs are toxic, never ever let him eat one. I've fed insects from outside but parasites are a big risk and something you have to take into consideration. I've fed grasshoppers, isopods and earthworms.
OH WOW that's so good to know cause he showed NO interest in the frog. Maybe it was his instinct kicking in. I put the frog away after everyone said no anyway but I had no idea they were toxic.
It seems that dragons are especially sensitive to frogs for some reasons, even froggies that are common feeders for other reptiles have killed dragons within just a few hours of eating them. We usually have one or two deaths on the board every summer. Lightning bugs are also deadly and I heard that lady bugs are also toxic.
Don't forget Boxedler bugs! Those are toxic too, I've heard.
WoW I'm really just going to have to make him stay away from all outside buggies and stuff. Dang. Sounds unnatural.
Probably the safest thing, once he is bigger make sure to always use a leash when outside. Not only will it keep him from escaping but it will help you keep him away from stuff he shouldn't have. You can always toss safe feeders in the grass for him to "hunt"
Not only that Gail but I worry he will try to run away. I mean he's only 7 weeks old and the last time I took him out he high tailed it. I sent my 9 year old to catch him. I was WHAT was that? LOL REALLY?
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users