Reptilinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Hey guys, my 2 year old refuses to touch his greens. He'll eat offered veggies (he likes snap peas and squash), the occasional fruit (loves raspberries) and some bugs (he prefers worms. Super and horn. Not interested in dubias most of the time). He also really likes the repashy Beardie buffet powdered diet, but idk if that should be a staple. His lighting and temps are fine, recently brought him to the vet and he's got no parasites and is otherwise completely healthy. But he absolutely refuses to touch his greens. I've tried everything from bee pollen to putting a superworm on a little bed of leafy greens to try and trick him. He doesn't fall for it.

SO.... has anyone had any luck with reptilinks? I'm tempted to try it but anxious at the same time because I think you need to have a minimum order of $75 on the website. I dont want to spend all that money and then have him turn up his nose to those as well.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Try some BSFL put them on the tops of his salads and do this in front of him -- it will draw his attention to the salad bowl -- DO NOT dust them and use as many as you want they are a great staple feeder

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":34aosdvx said:
Try some BSFL put them on the tops of his salads and do this in front of him -- it will draw his attention to the salad bowl -- DO NOT dust them and use as many as you want they are a great staple feeder
I can try that, though I think I've bought BSFL before for him and he wasn't too fond. Ended up feeding what we could of them to our smaller lizards before they all turned to flies or died. I'll try again and make sure he sees them on his salads, and I'll buy a smaller quantity just in case.

I'd still like someone's opinion on reptilinks if they've had any luck with them

Gail

BD.org Addict
I've not used reptilinks but they don't look like a good staple. A adult dragon needs 80% greens and veggies, the links are only 50% plants.

Take a look at repashy veggie burger and grassland grazer, those look like a better option.

What greens have you tried? Some dragons can be picky. Mine loves kale but only smooth leaved, he won't touch the curly stuff. Collards and dandelion are favorites.
He won't touch any veggies beside broccoli and no fruit except a tiny bit watermelon.

One thing that really gets him to dig into greens is to sprinkle on calcium powder, its like beardie crack.
If I put bugs in his salad, he'll just shut his eyes and pretend its not real.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Gail":23gg5tmo said:
I've not used reptilinks but they don't look like a good staple. A adult dragon needs 80% greens and veggies, the links are only 50% plants.

Take a look at repashy veggie burger and grassland grazer, those look like a better option.

What greens have you tried? Some dragons can be picky. Mine loves kale but only smooth leaved, he won't touch the curly stuff. Collards and dandelion are favorites.
He won't touch any veggies beside broccoli and no fruit except a tiny bit watermelon.

One thing that really gets him to dig into greens is to sprinkle on calcium powder, its like beardie crack.
If I put bugs in his salad, he'll just shut his eyes and pretend its not real.
I was thinking about looking into other repashy products since he seems to like the Beardie buffet. Might do that
I've tried Kale, collards, turnip greens and even spring mix lettuce (I know, not much nutrition in lettuce, but i was kinda desperate when I bought it). I gave him mustard greens in the past but havent in a while. Maybe he'll like going back to that.
Also, my guy doesn't really like his calcium powder. I assume it tastes bitter and he'll turn away from stuff if he tastes it.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Calcium shouldn't taste at all, vitamin powder is fairly icky though.

Even if he isn't eating greens, keep offering. Have you ever seen him even try any? Maybe he doesn't realize they are food.
If he ever gaps when he is basking, try popping a small piece of green in his mouth.

Good luck finding something he'll eat. The picky ones can be a huge pita.
You might even try some of those dry beardie pellets. You can soak them in water or a weak fruit juice, they get big & soft so they are easier to eat.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Gail":raw8ehmj said:
Even if he isn't eating greens, keep offering. Have you ever seen him even try any? Maybe he doesn't realize they are food.
If he ever gaps when he is basking, try popping a small piece of green in his mouth.

See, I've had him for almost 2 years and up until a little over a month ago he's been a great eater. To the point he's a little overweight. I figured because we just moved into a new place the stress of the move might've effected him a bit but we've been settled for nearly 3 weeks so he should be back to normal by now, right?
He definitely knows what I'm putting in his bowl is food, since it's the same bowl he's been eating out of all year, and often I'll pick a piece out of it and offer it to him by hand. Sometimes he'll eat it, sometimes he'll watch me put it right back in the bowl, and then never move to go get some himself.

Gail

BD.org Addict
What a brat lol. If he is chubby, his body just might not need many calories right now and if he is getting bugs, all his calories are coming from them.

Have you tried tough love? Its feeding him only greens until he gets hungry enough to eat them. I know it sounds awful but they can awhile without eating and it often comes down to a battle of wills.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Gail":3l1doxuv said:
What a brat lol. If he is chubby, his body just might not need many calories right now and if he is getting bugs, all his calories are coming from them.

Have you tried tough love? Its feeding him only greens until he gets hungry enough to eat them. I know it sounds awful but they can awhile without eating and it often comes down to a battle of wills.

I very well may have to try that

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So it's been about 2 weeks, I've tried offering him nothing but his salads and I've tried adding BSFL. Today was the first time he got down from his hammock and actually ate out of his bowl. Unfortunately, he just ate the bugs off the top of the greens and didnt touch the greens themselves.
I'm really starting to worry, despite the vet telling me he's parasite free and otherwise healthy. He hasnt had a full meal in over a month, is starting to deny bugs or veggies I offer to him by hand, and I just let him out for some roaming time, he walks around real slow and like he's got little strength.
I've heard good things about Reptaid giving ailing reptiles their appetite back. I'm likely gonna try it regardless, but I want to know if anyone here has heard or had a good experience with this product, as I'm not really familiar with it.
I just want my Cicero to be healthy...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you review your tank setup for us, such as the type/brand of UVB lighting, the overall
temperatures & basking temperatures, as well as supplementation given & the frequency,
so we can be sure it is all correct.
Do you have pictures of your dragon & your tank setup you could post?
You could try some bee pollen or black strap or regular molasses (a few drops) to help with
the appetite.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom