My Baby Beardie wont move nor eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg18perez

I just got it a 6 days ago and the fitst 48 hrs he looked actived eat a few crickets as soon as i put them in. Now he just look sleepy doesnt move or eat. My thank was 55 gallons i know it could stress them but i made it a wall so its half as big and nothing, the temps are 98 - 103 i got uvb i try to leave him alone but im getting worry. What can i do?
102036-5487228096.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Might be adjusting stress.
or
full ( what size were the crickets ? and how heavy is the dragon ?)
or
something else , if you work through this you might find the reason /s pop out at you : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236150&p=1815390#p1815390

can you give us a thorough run down on
>>> the lights (basking / heat ? UV ? other) you have (need brands, wattages, types, photos of them and if a UVB globe the rated %UVB).
>>> temperatures (basking spot, warm zone, cool zone)
>>> how you are measuring these temperatures
feeding schedule and diet you are planning

Greg18perez

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":rcsw4fpg said:
or
or
something else , if you work through this you might find the reason /s pop out at you : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236150&p=1815390#p1815390

>>> the lights (basking / heat ? UV ? other) you have (need brands, wattages, types, photos of them and if a UVB globe the rated %UVB).

Thanks for the image its awesome, i just got home and found out he is actually shedding skin. What should i do ?? I guess i bought him like that.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Greg18perez":3bpzstak said:
kingofnobbys":3bpzstak said:
or
or

Thanks for the image its awesome, i just got home and found out he is actually shedding skin. What should i do ?? I guess i bought him like that.

Nothing , other than give him some rough hard surfaces to rub / scratch against …. let him deal with his own shed , you only need to help by bathing him if he's got some stubborn shed on his arms, legs, toes, fingers, or tail.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, like was mentioned it is very important to know what kind of uvb you have. If it's not the top of the line bulb he may be getting very little uvb in such a huge tank. So what kind of uvb + heat bulb [ brand, watts, etc and pics of them ] Just trying to be sure that your baby gets off to a good start . :)

It's always best to start a baby off in a smaller tank, that way they are closer to the heat + uvb and can easily find their food. They are coming from a breeder where they were either in a smaller [ at least shorter ] tank or type of plastic tote. That's what I used [ and most breeders do ] to raise them until they are 10-11" and thriving. A set up like this is ideal :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30051/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29953/full

Even then, a 55 gallon tank is tall and makes it hard for the uvb heat to get down where the dragon is. So please show pics of the light placement.

Greg18perez

Original Poster
Well i made a wall so the tank is as half as big so thats a plus.
I gave him a warm bath this morning, and a lot of big chunks came off so now he more active but still not eating.

102036-588113517.jpg

102036-921083303.jpg

102036-5273383195.jpg
102036-5434600906.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I know you want the best for your little guy. :) Without a doubt those bulbs won't do. Here's what you need, this will take care of his heat AND uvb. Order either the 160 or 2 of the 100 watt. If you get the 160, make sure to get an aluminum reflector that is rated that high. You can get aluminum reflectors at Walmart, Lowe's Agway, Tractor supply, etc. for a better price [ usually ] than the pet stores.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjA07bNrNfeAhVBvsAKHaggBikYABAAGgJpbQ&sig=AOD64_0ddLs6liTx0S7E2tqxCFD5ZpMlCA&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjioa_NrNfeAhWY8oMKHZ40C_0Q0Qx6BAgKEAE&adurl=

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I concur.

At the very least , the compact UVB needs to be upgraded to a 25W version the of the globe you bought, I'd recommend an Exo Terra 26W UVB200 , I've had a lot of success using these for my dragons in rearing tanks up to 120L (W:520 H:440 L:750) , dragons needs to be able to bask about 8" from the globe (I use Exo Terra Nano Hoods rather than domes , the globes provide good levels of UV over a wider area).. <== for UVA & UVB

Still need a basking globe as well.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The higher watt Exo terra compact would be O.K in a short tank but this tall tank needs a powerful uvb because of the long distance due to the height of the tank. So the Megaray woud be a good bulb for this set up.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AHBD":3quy8eva said:
The higher watt Exo terra compact would be O.K in a short tank but this tall tank needs a powerful uvb because of the long distance due to the height of the tank. So the Megaray woud be a good bulb for this set up.

I think he said his tank is 55gal, I had to look this up to get sizes , appears a 55-gallon is 48" x 13" x 21" , I presume the 21" is the height , and he has partitioned it so the living space for the dragon is currently 24" x 13" x 21" (?) so providing the dragon can climb higher and get within 8" of the hood or dome mounted 26W UVB200 he should be OK for UVA & UVB , and the UV gradient will be achieved by the dragon moving from high to low.

A spot globe that provides a basking spot at 40 degC , right next to where intense UV zone is , using the existing dome (?) and now the thermal gradient will be more a vertical thermal gradient than the usual vertical & horizontal thermal gradient so it can work if the dragon is able to climb of it's own accord.

A MegaRay MVB or an Arcadia MVB will be a great solution too (and all in one globe).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom