Adult beardie still not eating veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preezy

So I've had Drake for 2 years now. Throughout the whole 2 years, everytime I've offered him veggies he'd look the other way. Nowadays I offer him some butternut squash and string beans or collard greens. Yes he will eat a couple bites here n there but that's it. He doesn't enthusiastically eat them like he does with his superworms. Superworms he goes NUTS for. I've tried "starving" him before...as in only putting veggies in his tank and giving him worms every 2 or 3 days instead, but not even THAT works. I've also tried the worms in the salad technique..he will literally pick around the salad to get to the worms. I've tried the salad on white tissue contrast..same thing he just picks a couple bite here n there then gets bored and leaves it. I've heard people say pollen works, but idk if it will with Drake, he's a bit..special it seems. Anyone have any suggestions?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How is his weight? If he is a healthy weight, try holding off on bugs for two or three weeks and just offer a nice big salad every day and see if that does the trick. At 2 years old he should only be on a bug meal once or twice per week if he is eating veges regularly so cutting way back might help get him away from the superworm addiction.

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
I would take him off insects and try feeding him the veggies with tongs. Maybe try some different veggies like red leaf lettuce mustard greens collard greens or dandilion greens

Preezy

Original Poster
2 weeks???? Oh man.. that's a bit much no? And trust me I've tried just about every kind of greens out there. There's nothing he'll go for. Squash he'll eat like 2 or 3 sticks (I slice em in worm-like sticks) but that's it. Doesn't touch much else.

Preezy

Original Poster
QuinnF":10uzcc6n said:
I would take him off insects and try feeding him the veggies with tongs. Maybe try some different veggies like red leaf lettuce mustard greens collard greens or dandilion greens

Also I've tried the tongs thing. He completely shuts his mouth and turns away lol. Once in a while he'll take a squash stick from my hand and eat it..but just one. Then he gets bored and ignores me.

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Preezy":2fnryuj2 said:
2 weeks???? Oh man.. that's a bit much no? And trust me I've tried just about every kind of greens out there. There's nothing he'll go for. Squash he'll eat like 2 or 3 sticks (I slice em in worm-like sticks) but that's it. Doesn't touch much else.
That’s probably not too much time as long as he has easy access to greens 24/7. I would keep an eye on his weight. Maybe you could squish up some super worms and mix them with some greens too

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
ONE MORE tHing. I’m not sure your feeding schedule but I feed my beardie insects on Saturday and Tuesday and only veggies the other 5 days. You could try that

Preezy

Original Poster
QuinnF":1e4o1qu8 said:
ONE MORE tHing. I’m not sure your feeding schedule but I feed my beardie insects on Saturday and Tuesday and only veggies the other 5 days. You could try that
I'm gonna try the 2 weeks to atleast get him used to being on a low insect diet. Veggies every day. Squishing the bugs into his veggies...I don't think that would work either since he's attracted to the movement more than anything else (he won't touch dead worms). I've tried moving around the veggies as well..he doesn't go for it lol. But yeah I'll wean him off the worms for 2 weeks then do your rotation. Thanks for your help. I'll update this in 2 weeks

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Try cutting squash into worm shapes. Putting those on top of salad or wiggling them around and hand feeding work pretty well in some cases.

76248-9983280538.jpg

Preezy

Original Poster
i do that cooper, he doesnt care much for it lol. But when he does, i notice he'll eat the squash but completely ignores the greens. its day 3 and he still ignores his salad

Preezy

Original Poster
So after 2 weeks..he is still avoiding his veggies like the plague. Still the same couple bites here n there. It's like he rather starve himself than eat veggies. I don't know what to do :/ I finally gave in today and gave him worms and of course he got super excited over them

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
IF he’s not loosing weight maybe he is just where he needs to be. Just give him insects 2 times per week maybe?

engfoxhound1979

My beardie is about 2 years old, and I have no clue what she weighs. She used to eat her veggies, greens, fruits, voraciously. We moved half way across the country and she hasn't touched her vegetation since. I've kept her off insects for 3 weeks, no dice. I fed her a horn worm and went another 2 weeks. Nothing. Fed her a dozen crickets and another 2-3 weeks. I can't find the pollen locally, and I'm honestly not sure what I'm looking for. She used to love them, but the stress of. 14 hour drive seems to have killed her on vegetation. We moved July of 2017 and she hasn't eaten one bite of vegetation. I got feed everything that she eats and hope it is enough. Now she has a growing gray spot that seems to be sensitive to the touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom