Newly adopted 2yr old Beardie, what to feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camhabit

Hello all, I recently adopted a 2yr old bearded dragon, and I'm still having trouble with what exactly to feed her and how often? Like how often to feed insects, and how I could get her to eat her 'beardie salad'. I am worried 24/7 about her LOL. Its driving me nuts!

I don't want to sound like I know nothing, but could someone give me a layout on what/when to feed her?

Thanks in advance.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
This is what i go by for feeding, it lists all ages but just pay attention to the 20+ month old part for her.

1-4 months 3 times a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
4-12 months twice a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
12-20 months once a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
And then 20+ months every other day 10-20 bugs each feeding.

And of course daily salads in all age ranges, usually collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens daily and then the occasional blueberry, banana, or red raspberry once or twice a week in their salad.

As for the bug portion i usually feed crickets, calciworms, dubia roaches, and turkish roaches for staples.

As for dusting, ones below 20+ months usually 5 times a week for calcium and 2 times a week for multivitamins. And then for the 20+ month olds usually 3 times a week for calcium and once a week for multivitamins.

As for treats i occasionally will give them hornworms, superworms or mealworms. Usually 5-10 mealworms, and then for hornworms and superworms 2-4. For mealworms i offer those once or twice a week and then with superworms and hornworms usually once a week or twice every two weeks. Hornworms can be offered a bit more than superworms can since they do have less fat and are mostly just moisture which is good for hydration in some cases but can cause diarrhea if given too many.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
At 2 years old, your dragon doesn't need big bug feedings every day. Mine is three and, she eats 8 to 10 dubias every other day and, a big salad every day, refreshed 2x a day. Bug intake drops to 20% of their diet as adults and 80% veggies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I work from on observations made by naturalists/zoologists/professional herpetologists of the behavior of wild bearded dragons in their natural range , where there are predominantly opportunistic carnivores/insectivores and only eat leafy herbs, fruits and vegetable material when these are available (which in their naturally long term drought dry tropical and subtropical woodland/savannah is scarce).
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=230705&hilit=wild+beardies+stomach+contents
See viewtopic.php?f=18&t=236074 for what I consider a very good guide for establishing your ADULT dragons diet and feeding schedule.

My adult skinks and dragons all get some live insects every day.
My preferred staples are
>> crickets which I feed Repcal Adult Bearded Dragon Pellets ( much better insect food than lizard food and they love them pellets) and fresh carrot and fresh buk choi.
>> silkworms - I raise my own and feed these fresh mulberry leaves usually
>> and the water skinks get mealworms (lavae, pupae and beetles) and chopped up superworms as well as crickets
>> and the bluetongues also get cultivated snails ( I buy these from a snail farmer who usually supplies restraunts , but these are treats as they are pricey
My bluetongues and dragons get superworms as treats.

I offer grated veg and chopped high calcium greens daily to the dragons and bluetongues.

Camhabit

Original Poster
Thank you so much everyone! You guys helped me out a lot, I was a bit confused as I read different things from different places, but glad to know I see more of "every other day" than anything...thanks so much, have a happy new year.

Reptiles4ever

Bearded Dragons can eat a variety of different things. You can give him/her cucumber, carrots, apple, bell pepper, kale, raisins, and of course ,crickets, superworms, and mealworms. I suggest googling “foods for bearded dragons”, there are many more foods that they can eat. Good luck! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom