1 month and a week of brumation in, what to feed him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Hello,

my 2 and a half year old beardie has been brumating for a month or so. Every 10 days I give him a bath and offer food. I think h e is never fully asleep, because every time I check on him, once every day or two, he opens his eyes, but as soon as I put the hide on top of him he goes to sleep.
So my questions is, tomorrow is another day 10, and I have crickets, supers (doubt these will be healthy right now?), and a variety of vegetables, I also have a store near me which I can buy special worms. And how many should I feed? I was thinking of trying only 1 crickets, see if he devours it or eats it slowly and offer more or not.

thank you!

This was after his first 10 days
93594-309176883.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If he's sleeping that well I'd just let him be. Take him out to offer some water and check his weight but I wouldn't do much beyond making a salad available to him for now. His metabolism is slowed so he doesn't need much at the moment but I'm sure he'll be hungry when he wakes back up.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2v49vur9 said:
If he's sleeping that well I'd just let him be. Take him out to offer some water and check his weight but I wouldn't do much beyond making a salad available to him for now. His metabolism is slowed so he doesn't need much at the moment but I'm sure he'll be hungry when he wakes back up.

So I woke him up for some water, and a little bit of sunlight, and he started walking a bit! streatching his legs im guessing, so I offered him a cricket (shoulda offer some vegetable woops), and he devoured it, and he really looked and acted like he wanted more, so I just gave him 1 more cricket. I let him walk around a little bit for a few more minutes, and put him back in his viv and put his hide on top of him. Now he is just looking out his hide for a bit, then going back asleep, then one eye half open looking out, and back asleep. So im sure by tonight he will be back fully asleep.

Were 2 crickets too much? Hope not, but he is not coming out of his hide yet so he wants to brumate more im pretty sure.
too

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Shouldn't be a problem. My guy just woke up a bit today too so I gave him water and offered some salad (he wasn't hungry). He pooped out some of the roaches I gave him several weeks ago and seems no worse for wear having them in his gut for a while.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2ut4gsz3 said:
Shouldn't be a problem. My guy just woke up a bit today too so I gave him water and offered some salad (he wasn't hungry). He pooped out some of the roaches I gave him several weeks ago and seems no worse for wear having them in his gut for a while.

Hey,

now another question, i made another post but figured you might answer here quicker. He actually woke up this morning. When I woke up (around 9am), he was up, below his basking light and ready to bask. So I turned both lights on, and he basked for like 5 hours, offered him 3 super worms, and 2 wax worms. But the thing is, I dont think he is done with his brumation. He is just by his basking spot laying down and not moving much, or at all. He devoured those bugs tho. He started to go back to his hide, but I took him out. He is just laying down by his heat light and being really letheragic. Maybe it takes a few days for him to fully wake up? Or maybe he is tired and wants to go brumate again ? He walked around on the floor in my room, and even ran a bit! and climbed the couch, and even tried to jump off! (didnt let him of course), so he was rlly active when I took him out of his viv and now his really lethargic

93594-1827481590.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm starting to think they get as confused about it as we do. Darwin has been up and down like that too. I wouldn't be surprised if he does some days awake and some days sleeping for a while longer. If he wants to be up, try to give him his normal routine, but if he wants sleep let him have that too.

KozmoRox

Sounds like my story. Kozmo is up a few days and sleeping a few... It's become the new normal. Still not interested in greens at all, just some squash,super worms & occasional wax worms, literally turns her nose up to her greens & dubias(which are now adults, eww!) She's continuing to gain and seems happy when she's up, except when we humans all fight for her attention & cuddles! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom