Proper feeding for 2 year old

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
So Ranger is 2 years old I've acquired him from my sister who has given him up because now she's found a new animal to love and that's three rats. So I've been doing my best to keep him happy healthy and Alive. I've learned a whole lot from this site and I really do appreciate all of the great advice that you all have. I'm more of a snake person so a bearded dragon is totally different from what I've discovered.

So far Ranger is a bug eater he eat superworms and crickets. He will eat about a dozen crickets that is unless two or three escaped him and 6 superworms. All of which are dusted with vitamins and calcium....which I've also discovered unlike snakes these guys need to eat every single day. I have been feeding him all of this stuff once a week or once every two weeks. He refuses to eat vegetables. I mean hands down refuses to eat a stinking Greenery item. But last night I realized that I was completely out of worms the rest were dead in the can so I cut up a strawberry and he must have been hungry enough because he took one bite of that strawberry and moderately enjoyed it. Granted upon swallowing it he jumped lol so I'm not sure if it was because the strawberry was cold or if he was just like "what the heck is this what did I just eat that wasn't a bug" not entirely sure never seen that before. I'm going to say it was probably because it was cold.

He also absolutely loves water I've heard that bearded dragons aren't supposed to completely love being in the water but my lizard really enjoys water. Whether it be shower time or sitting in his water dish he's almost always somewhere near his water which I guess is in a terrible thing cuz then he won't become dehydrated.

but if I'm trying to introduce him into greeneries I've tried everything. I've tried making a bug veggie salad and he will pick the bugs out between the salad. I've tried force-feeding him doing the pressure points on the side of the face that somebody else had told me to try and yeah he spit that at me he really didn't like it. So is there anything that you know that a bearded dragon cannot resist to eat that I can at least make that a staple meal for him in between his bug time. Because let's be honest feeding and bugs every day of the week can get quite expensive and that's why we all look forward to them getting older to eat vegetables and stuff like that because that can stretch bugs cannot.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At 2 years old he should be eating mostly veges. He only needs bugs once a week or so once he gets going on salads. It may take some time and some tough love to get him into salads if he's still used to a mainly bug diet though. Try offering a variety based on what is fresh at the store. I like to reference this list for ideas http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html Give him a nice big salad every day with 2-3 items from that list. Hold off giving him bugs until he starts digging into the salad. It may take a while but he will likely start to dig in when he gets hungry. Then you can build a new routine out of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom