Won't eat his salad!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

faster132

I give him a salad to eat and he just won't accept it I've tried hand feeding him and moving his food around and it still doesn't work. He is 18 inches and 1 year and 7 months old. I just got him 3 days ago from a previous owner maybe he isn't eating them because he still hasn't adapted. Although, he still eats crickets just fine.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You've only had him in your care for a few days, he is going to be upset and stressed by all the changes and being sold (abandoned by his original keeper from his frame of reference, they do become very attached and strongly bonded to their carers).

You could try dropping some worms into his greens as a kind of wriggly crouton , that might tweek his interest. Keep offering the green stuff. Be thankful he's not on hunger strike and refusing all food.

He's is still in growth mode so needs a feed of live insects each day , essentially still a juvenile , and his growth wont taper off for another 6 months of so .

He's similar age to my Peppa and Toothless, I give them 2 large or 4 medium silkworms + 8 to 10 x 2/3 sized crickets each per day + greens.

faster132

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":pdgo4inv said:
You've only had him in your care for a few days, he is going to be upset and stressed by all the changes and being sold (abandoned by his original keeper from his frame of reference, they do become very attached and strongly bonded to their carers).

You could try dropping some worms into his greens as a kind of wriggly crouton , that might tweek his interest. Keep offering the green stuff. Be thankful he's not on hunger strike and refusing all food.

He's is still in growth mode so needs a feed of live insects each day , essentially still a juvenile , and his growth wont taper off for another 6 months of so .

He's similar age to my Peppa and Toothless, I give them 2 large or 4 medium silkworms + 8 to 10 x 2/3 sized crickets each per day + greens.
you sure he in growth mode he is already 1 year and 7 months old

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He may grow ever so slightly more, but he doesn't need live food every day. Some dragons are full sized at his age, even before. Many dragons prefer bugs over salads + their owners give up on offering salad. Once he's settled in for a couple of weeks, cut out the bugs for 3-4 days at a time and offer only salad. He should get hungry enough [ he won't starve ] to accept the greens [ use greens like turnip, mustard, collard, dandelion, kale and some squash, green beans + peppers.

You can also try dropping some greens right on the paper towel when he's expecting his bugs and this may entice him by the movement as they are dropped as well as making the greens stand out against the white.

faster132

Original Poster
AHBD":3nql4qiy said:
He may grow ever so slightly more, but he doesn't need live food every day. Some dragons are full sized at his age, even before. Many dragons prefer bugs over salads + their owners give up on offering salad. Once he's settled in for a couple of weeks, cut out the bugs for 3-4 days at a time and offer only salad. He should get hungry enough [ he won't starve ] to accept the greens [ use greens like turnip, mustard, collard, dandelion, kale and some squash, green beans + peppers.

You can also try dropping some greens right on the paper towel when he's expecting his bugs and this may entice him by the movement as they are dropped as well as making the greens stand out against the white.
thanks a lot will do

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
faster132":387sfrzn said:
kingofnobbys":387sfrzn said:

you sure he in growth mode he is already 1 year and 7 months old

Yes, he's still got some growing to do.

Puff and Rex didn't have their growth rates didn't plateau til they were over 2 years old.
My young ones Peppa and Toothless are similar age to your's and showing no sign of their growth plateauing yet. see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=221328
see
hv32bs.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom