Help - Switching Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRayne

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi CooperDragon,
Lily has been eating more veggies (not on her own, that I've seen, but will take them if offer then piece by piece). Today she had a poop and it was full of undigested pieces of carrot and some greens possibly with other veggies. Her other poo yesterday was similar, but not as bad as today. Is this normal since she is not used to eating veggies? Or is something wrong? It smelled worse than usual too, but not evacuate the room smelly.
Thanks in advance :)
KRayne

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A change in diet can cause poop issues. Keep the diet steady for a bit even if you're hand feeding and see if it levels out. I would use carrot sparingly though.

KRayne

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh okay, I'll keep at it. The only reason I fed her carrots almost everyday is because carrots and red bell peppers are the only veggies she is partially interested in (she's picky) I'll cut back though.
Thanks again for your help :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Try some different kinds of squash and see how those go over. I've had good luck with squash as part of salads in the past.

KRayne

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay. I've tried butternut squash and she doesn't really care for it, but I'll try a different kind. Hopefully she likes it more and will start eating the salad. Thank you.

KRayne

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey CooperDragon,
I was wondering if you had any experience with beardies laying infertile eggs and could possibly help me. I thought Lily might be wanting to lay infertile eggs but now I'm not so sure.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry but I don't. I've had two boys so while dealing with plenty of issues that hasn't been one of them. Based on what I've read, the best thing to do is build a dig box using a tote bin filled with a mixture of wet play sand and topsoil, and build a starter tunnel. Just let her dig into the tunnel and do her thing. Plenty of extra hydration and calcium rich foods may also be in order. In severe cases an experienced vet can take some x-rays to have a look and ensure everything is going smoothly.

KRayne

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I actually did make her a lay box but after digging a cave she stopped digging and just sat in it for over an hour not laying any eggs. So now I'm confused. Oh well, I'll figure it out. Thank you for your imput.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She may not be ready then, but I'm not sure. I'm sorry I can't help further but perhaps some of the folks on here who have experience with gravid dragons may be able to provide some better input on this one.

KRayne

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for trying to help I appreciate it. Last night I did some research thinking it might be something other than infertile eggs and noticed a lot of similarities between that and Brumation and she's exhibiting more symptoms of Brumation than being Gravid. Now I'm wondering, is it too early in the year for Brumation? And if she hasn't brumated yet in her life is this still a possibility? Also, can beardies get anxious in their terrarium if they want to brumate? I know they get lethargic but she still explores a little when outside her terrarium and has always been on the lazy side. If she wants to brumate should I help? Thank you again for being so helpful.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They usually brumate as the weather gets cooler but it's not unheard of for them to brumate a bit at odd times, it depends. If she's acting lethargic, not basking, and acting cranky it may be brumation. Check her weight. It should be remaining relatively steady. If she's losing weight it's likely something else.

KRayne

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay thank you. She is getting pretty cranky with me. She's been huffing at me, kinda like a partial puffing of her beard. Plus she has been moving away from my touch more and gong me the stink eye when I wake her up in the morning. I really need to get a weight scale for her but I haven't been able to find a reptile or food one yet.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd check Canadian Tire. They seem to have everything under the sun so a kitchen scale wouldn't be unheard of. If you put a shoebox top on it and tare it she should be able to fit on the scale nicely.

KRayne

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'll there. Thank you again for being so helpful and the shoe box idea is brilliant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom