way to open bearies mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrT

how do you get your beardie to open its mouth
as i have to give mine some oral antibiotics (baytril) as she has an eye infection
had a heck of of a job getting her mouth open is there a trick to open the mouth or will i have to continue to struggle :banghead:

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Its tough,I had to do oral swabs on Jojo for 2 weeks :|
I'll try to explain this the best I can. Take your left hand and go over his head and gently press your thumb and index finger on each side of his mouth.Gently work his mouth open with your thumb and use your right hand to get the medicine in.
Are you doing swabs or drops? If its liquid drops then you can use the tip of the syringe and enter the SIDE of his mouth,dont squirt it in the front because he might aspirate.
Good luck!!

Btw,do you know why the vet gave you ORAL meds instead of eye drops for an eye infection?

MrT

Original Poster
will try that
we have tried eye drops but it was not clearing up so took her back she gave me liquid antibiotics (vet though it was conjuctivitus) but she now thinks its more than that as her eye is reddening
this vet is brilliant she spend two years back at collegde just to treat exotics after she qualified as a vet

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Im sorry,I know how frustrating that is :( Jojo had a problem with her eye for quite a few months too and the vet and I tried so many different types of drops and ointments and nothing worked.The tissue in her lower eyelid was so swollen but it wasnt red. Eventually it cleared up on its own.(after about 2 months!)
Here is a picture of what it looked like.Does your's look like that too?
100_0282.jpg

and this is a pic after it went back to normal,so don't give up hope :wink:
100_0602.jpg

MrT

Original Poster
no she has a lot of green puss around the bottom of her eye to me the eye is not red but the vet used a bright light to examine her eye this time
she is costing me a lot of money at the vets so will have to cut back on something till i get her better (as i am unemployed and ill myself)
my animals always come first no matter what

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Awwww,you are a great pet-parent,kudos to you! :D
I wish you the best of luck, and plz update on the progress ok?

Karnagia

I'm currently trying to give Roo a dewormer by mouth and I'm in the same "could you just open your mouth already?" boat. Good luck!!

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Hi Mr. T, You were helpful for me.
Are you able to mix the liquid meds with any baby food? That is how we got the Panacur into my beardie for his pinworms. He loves the butternut squash--couldn't get it quick enough so he attacked, with his open mouth, the syringe of it all.
Hope this helps some

MrT

Original Poster
am managing to open her mouth but its a two person job one to open mouth one to insert syringe

they certainly have jaws like a vice just dont want to get bitten was bitten by one of my leopard geckos last week it hurt enough took quite a while for him to release his jaws (was helping him with a bit of shed that was stuck)

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
MrT I find that my beardies can not resist pumpkin........they absolutely go nuts over it. So for me this is always a good way to administer med's by taking a teaspoon of pumpkin and mixing in the med's. I would much rather get mine to take it without having to force them. Also if you rub their lips just at the sides of their head they may open their mouths without having to use force. Mine do.

cjdickey

Juvie Member
The way that worked for me was the way the doc showed me. Go over his head similar to the way the previous poster explained but instead of forcing the mouth open with your thumb, you can pinch the skin under on the throat and pull down to open the mouth. They can shake all they want but that cant get too far. This can make it a one person job. Hope this helps

Christy

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
fresnowitte":52b29 said:
MrT I find that my beardies can not resist pumpkin........they absolutely go nuts over it. So for me this is always a good way to administer med's by taking a teaspoon of pumpkin and mixing in the med's. I would much rather get mine to take it without having to force them. Also if you rub their lips just at the sides of their head they may open their mouths without having to use force. Mine do.

I just tried that... I rather practice than have it come down to the wire and never getting them healthy. I think she actually liked it. i just slightly rubbed her lips and she opened up. after that she was biting after the siringe like she wanted more more more

boxers

Hatchling Member
When I had to give my beardie meds/baby food, the vet showed me a trick; she said to take a Q-tip or a toothpick, use the center, thick part (NOT the pointy tips!!) at the very front of the lips, and sort of roll it- it slides their mouth right open without (to my knowledge) hurting them. Something about the grain of the wood. I can't remember her exact words, this was several months ago. But it worked for me.

Also:
puppytoes72":4524e said:

That picture looks JUST like when my dog had "cherry eye"! It's some sort of irritation in the tear duct. Hers kept recurring (she was a cocker spaniel, apparently it's very common with their droopy eyes) so we had to get a surgery. This was ten years ago though, there might be some other fix for it by now.
But I'm glad yours went away so easily :)

MrT

Original Poster
bearded dragons dont have tear ducts or i am fairtly sure thats what my vet said i could be wrong of course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom