Beardies getting along with other pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious to know if/how your beardies get along with your dogs....and if/how to go about introducing them. (My dog is not aggressive at all)

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
Once the dragons a full grown, I find even my cat does not bother them. I would still not leave them unattended with other pets. It might cause some stress in smaller dragons.

Jeff

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Well I don't have a dog anymore, but I use to worry that he would step on my beardies
and hurt them not meaning to of course but he was a large dog and rather clumbsy.
He never tried to harm them.

My beardies and cat have always gotten along great.

PVT Blaze And Beefy The Cat Hanging Out Together
100_6035.jpg

Beefy Taking A Nap With Zak-n-Wheezie
100_7297.jpg

Hope you don't mind the pic's. :)

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
ripcord182":25cb2 said:
Those are great! how did you go about introducing them?

Thanks!
Actually my beardies have the run of the house. Imagine that!?! :laughing6:
My cat use to be terrified of the beardies. :roll: :lol:

Sense other pets just like the beardies enjoy hanging out on the bed and napping with their humans I chose to use that time to introduce them close up. This way I have control of the situation. And the critters are being mellow. This is still pretty much the only time the cat gets near the beardies only because he wants to nap on their blankies. :wink: Or doesn't want the beardie to get the attention he could be getting.

I wouldn't suggest it until your beardie is a juvie or bigger as babies are so darn quick an other animals may see them as prey or a toy. Besides that huge furry thing might stress your beardie out. If your beardie is juvie or bigger just slowly introduce them by allowing them to check each other out. I would hold the beardie up to the nose of my cat as the cat would sniff at the beardie the beardie would tongue the cat. If either of these pets were not calm and relaxed I didn't go for it.

Never try if your dog is feeling frisky. Or your beardie has an attitude.
My very first beardie Rocky (RIP) thwapped one of my cats with his tail when I first got him might be the reason that Beefy is so paranoid of the beardies when they are running around the house.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
ripcord182":1be9a said:
hahaha how do you manage to keep your beardies up to temp with giving them the run of the house?
Sorry my bad I didn't mean that literally. They all have their own viv's with proper temps and lighting. But I do take everyone out to roam one at a time of course except Z&W they have to get out together. I try to give each of them some time out of their viv's each day. I really meant that in my house Dragons rule. They just let us live here and take care of them. I have 7 beardies plus Z&W so the cat and humans are out numbered. :lol:

Trogdor80

Hatchling Member
My cat is a relentless killing machine that routinely kills rabbits and possums. I wouldn't let it anywhere near my beardie.

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
My kitty loves to bask in the window in the summer with my beardies and sleep together on the couch in the evenings. They are really very sweet together. I think the main reason that it works it that the cat is a bit scared of them so he would never attack. My dog, however, is a great dane/doberman mix that we recently rescued so he will not be introduced to the dragons until he gets older and much tamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom