black beard question

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. At first I thought this may be a problem. I have searched and read some on it and it seems almost like something to be proud of. My question is... What causes them to do this. Athena (after reading all this I may be changing HER name!! lol) is about 8 mths old. Came home.. she looked normal.. let the dogs out.. they went over and said hi like they have been for the past few days... (we've only had her 7 days) than they went about their buisness... so, after feeding the dogs.. went back to Athena and her beard was completely black... hubs took her out and was holding her and she went back to her normal self... she was out a half hour or more.. put her back in.... back to black...

This is the first time she has done this since we've had her. What causes this to happen... or better yet why?

Thanks so much!!

Sabrina

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
8 months old?I am sorry to say I think Athena may be Zeus :D Thats typical of a male juvie behavior.Black bearding is a sign of general aggression,the desire to mate also brings it on when a female is in proximity and juvie hormones will set it off at will.As long as it returns to normal when given what they want in this case out of the tank then its nothing to worry.Long term black beards can be a sign of illness or discomfort.

AthenasMom

Original Poster
hmmm great.... thank you very much!! guess maybe i'll be looking for a new baby name!!

Yeah.. as soon as we take her out of the cage... gone... instantly...

ok.. since this may be the case.... how do I tell if she is a he?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Just to give you a little hope females can black beard also but with females it doesnt go full black.Here is an article on sexing your beardie:
http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/
Males will have 2 oblong bumps going up the underside of the tail just above the vent and females will have only centered above the vent or none at all.You can also post a picture here like the ones shown in the article and we may be able to tell you for sure.

AthenasMom

Original Poster
thank you! I will check in AM when she wakes up..... if I still can't figure it.. I will post a pick...

again.. Thank you... EVERYONE!! Will let you know how I make out...

AthenasMom

Original Poster
ok.. here's the pic... just so you know... I will never attempt this again... I tried 50 different ways to take this pic and she was very very upset with me...
this is the best I could do once she settled enough to do it!!!

any help here will be greatly appreciated... thanks....

015.jpg

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I am sorry but I cant tell that way.What we need is a pic while she is in normal position then raise her tail about 45 degrees and take the picture of the bottom of the tail and vent while in this position.Sorry she gave you a hard time its easier with 2 people.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Im just glad i got mine from a breeder already knowing the sex.

hope you find out!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom