A Quick Few Questions for a first time beardie owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw1tched

Greetings All,

Any help will be greatly appreciated!. I am a little overwhelmed with the process to make sure he gets good care! here are a few things i am unsure off

1. Does it need to have a water dish? I have read both ways of YES and NO

2. Does he need cave / logs in the cool area of the tank? it's bare

3. and the most important thing, he seems terrified if i try to touch or handle him. He runs around smashing his face in to all sides of the glass, and absolutely motionless in the bath i give give him. He came from a busy high traffic Pet store, and he's not tiny. IT was recommended i buy a more established beardie as my first....so i didn't buy a baby. I do notice he is shedding though...is that why? leave him be? and how long does it take. kinda concerned, i don't want to stress him out!!

jfm08

Hatchling Member
1. Does it need to have a water dish? i dont have one i let him get water when im handling him.. i mean they are desert animals

2. I would not recommend using a cave this poses potential problems. Logs i wouldnt let it cover alot of the area as they need exercise

3. Well he still needs to get used to you and then picking him up will become much easier, Sahara is still getting used to me she is getting very good, However she runs into the glass alot lol Spiff is shedding now too and he does not like to be handled alot while he is shedding.... NEVER ASSIST YOUR BEARDIE IN SHEDDING btw lol

peera

Sub-Adult Member
sw1tched":21348 said:
Greetings All,

Any help will be greatly appreciated!. I am a little overwhelmed with the process to make sure he gets good care! here are a few things i am unsure off

1. Does it need to have a water dish? I have read both ways of YES and NO

No. It can increase the humidity of the tank, and he's more likely to use it as a toliet than to ever learn to drink out of it.

2. Does he need cave / logs in the cool area of the tank? it's bare

Need? Probably not. Would he enjoy having something to crawl on/hide under? Probably. All of mine have furniture on both sides of their tank and all get equal use.

3. and the most important thing, he seems terrified if i try to touch or handle him. He runs around smashing his face in to all sides of the glass, and absolutely motionless in the bath i give give him. He came from a busy high traffic Pet store, and he's not tiny. IT was recommended i buy a more established beardie as my first....so i didn't buy a baby. I do notice he is shedding though...is that why? leave him be? and how long does it take. kinda concerned, i don't want to stress him out!!

How old is he exactly? Shedding can take anywhere from a couple of days on a baby, to a couple weeks for an adult. It can be a stressful time for them, but none of mine act like they want me to hold them any less... If anything they want me to hold and comfort them in their discomfort. It sounds like he's almost never been handled, and that can be really stressful for both of you to try and build the bond the longer he's gone without being handled. Helpful tips- After lights out, when he's almost asleep, take him out and wrap him in something that smells like you and cuddle with him for a while until he's completely asleep, then put him back in the cage still wrapped up... That way he gets used to your smell and realizes you didn't hurt him when he was vunerable. You can also get in the tub with him, don't try to handle him at all, and let him explore.. after a while he'll realize you don't want to hurt him and start to explore you. Also, how long are you giving him the baths for? Miss Priss will death glare at me for about 10 minutes straight after first getting in the bath, and then after she figures out water=fun & drinks, she'll play for about another 10 minutes before getting out. So don't give up in the first few minutes, and don't try to touch him except for putting your hand in the water so he can grab ahold and climb a bit further out if he wants. If he's gaping at you when you put your hand in the cage, have a piece of greens in your hand and pop it in his mouth. He'll be surprised and forget why he was scared while he eats it.

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Welcome to the site!

If you give your dragon a bath every 3-4 days your dont nessasarily need a water dish. Some will actually drink out of a water dish and will play in it and if they can fit there body into it and are not drinking out of it, they can get water through the vent area. I think it is a good idea to offer a place for them to soak or drink if they so desire. I put a water dish in my viv for about 80% of the time. I leave it in there for most of the week and take it out to clean every other day, leave it out for a few days put it back. He doesn't drink out it but has fun playing in it. Just keep and eye on the humidity levels you dont want them over 60% . Average 40-60% is a good range over that mold could grow.

Furniture is really up to you, the more stuff for them to climb and hid under, makes it more interesting to them. Just make sure you don't have so much stuff in there that they can get stuck in places while trying to turn around and such.

My Dragon is really a little pisser when he is shedding. He is really a grump with a major additude for the most part. Doesn't want to eat as much, doesn't want to be held as much if I do pick him up he tries to run off my hand, or down my back (as seen in pic) yeah he hates me when he is shedding..lil bugger. Also, if you ahven't had your guy for very long, it takes them a while to get use to the surroundings. You also don't know how he was treated at the pet store, so be patient.

best of luck!
Stac

I have a western bearded dragon and he has always had and used his waterfall.
Some dragons cannot see still water which is why they dont drink from it and are more likely to sit in it.
The waterfalls arent cheap and u can pick a small one up for $80.00 from most pet city pet stores.
I have always been told to make sure they always have water, but if u spray the edges of the enclosure they will lick it off the edges and if u spray them directly they drink it that way also.
I find that my beardie (carlos) will drink about 2-3 times a week and is the cutest thing to watch.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
The problem with the waterfalls is that they will raise the humidity of the tank. Dragons need low humidity since they're desert animals. Giving them a bath a few times a week does just as much to keep them hydrated and negates the risk of resperitory infections. Waterfalls also generally have basins that are deep enough for your dragon to drown in. The convienence of water in your tank is just never worth the risk IMHO.

I suppose everyone has their own way of supplying water to their lizards.
As for drowining in the water fall, thats not possible in my case, however im sure with smaller lizards or larger waterfalls that may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom