double het???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sddragons

Juvie Member
OK so I am finally understanding better what a het for something is. But what exactly is a double het?

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Which means he carries the gene for two different traits and could possibly pass it on even if he doesn't posses the trait himself.

slantedii

Hatchling Member
Heterozygous - possessing two different genes for a given trait. An animal with one mutated, recessive gene still appears normal; its
mutated gene can be inherited by future offspring. A codominant animal is heterozygous for the dominant form of its mutated gene, yet is
different in appearance than both the wild-type and homozygous forms.

its like that thing you used to do it school...

mendel.jpg

So if you have the dominant gene (capital "A") you display the dominant characteristic whether or not you have the recessive (lower case "a"). However, if you carry the recessive gene, there is a possibility (assuming your mate carries it) that your offspring will display the recessive characteristic. This is one reason people with brown eyes are way more special than people with blue. @ brown eyed people can have a blue eye child, but two blue eyed people cannot have a brown eyed kid. Double Het sounds like they carry the recessive gene for 2 distinct ( and prolly in your case desirable) characteristics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom