Plugged nostrils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help! My beardie's nostrils seemed to be covered with something. It could be molting skin that has not shedded off yet, but he seems to be "gasping" to get air. I first noticed it over a week ago and thought it was normal till I saw some photos on here and noticed the nostrils are not supposed to be covered with anything. He seemed to be breathing normally until today.

I also worried that when I would "drop" some water droplets on his head while giving him a bath (since he won't drink from his water bowl), I wondered if he would inhale the water? Maybe I'll try to take a pic of his nostrils and attach it.

Edricks

Gray-bearded Member
Side note: Dragons can't see stagnant water, so he doesn't know there's water in the water bowl.

lizardluvr

Original Poster
I'm not sure if my response posted or not, but I'll try this again. I wasn't able to get a clear picture. I was able to remove the skin covering one of his nostrils, but was not able to clear the other one. He does seem to be breathing better now. Is this normal to be plugged up like that?

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, if he is sheading on his nostrils, it is normal. What I usually do to help mine out is to wait until they come loose a bit on the outside and then peel them off/pull it out. It's weird, but they do shed out the insides of their nostrils. Without a picture, I can't be sure, but it sounds like that is what is going on with your guy.

lizardluvr

Original Poster
That exactly describes what just happened. When I pulled the little "plug" off, I noticed a long thin piece of skin attached as if it was inside his nostril as well as over it. I'm sure that's what it is. What about when I bathe him? Should I worry about dripping water on his nose? Could he inhale it? So far, that's the only way I can get him to drink. Occasionally when he's in his bath, he'll lick the water voluntarily. I've shown him his water bowl in his viv, but I don't think he remembers it's there.

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
None of mine will drink water standing in a bowl. No worries at all about bath time. You can drip water on his nose all you want. I know of some people on this forum that have beardies that love the water so much that they will actually dive under and swim in it. :D So anyway, don't worry, you won't harm him by putting water drops on his nose.

lizardluvr

Original Poster
Okay. Thank you. This whole time I keep calling him "he" but I don't really know for sure what sex "it" is. It's still a juvy and I'm not sure if you can tell yet. He's /she's only about two months old.

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
I’m not very good at sexing them at all. My first beardy was Thor. I thought it was a boy, come to find out when she started having problems and had to go to the vets that he was a she. Now I have Diesel, who I got full grown and is obviously a male. I also have Rexy and Rogue. I thought/wanted Rexy to be a male but I’m just now at 8 months and 18 ½ inches starting to believe otherwise. I have compared Rex to Diesel and I’m pretty sure Rexy is a female. Rogue is about 6 months and while I can’t tell what sex, she is very similar to Rexy so I am guessing female. I also have a cat named Jack that I got as a very young kitten, thought she was a he and guess what? So yeah, I’m definitely not the person to ask. If you really want to know you might want to post some pictures of the tail/vent area in the breeders forum, they might be able to tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom