Is a Nipped or crinked tail bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Bee

I just found a next city over reptile breeder that has some beardys Last batch of the season. He was mentioning a couple of the batch have a crink at the tip of the tail.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
I'm not sure about a "crinked" tail... could be caused by anything from inbreeding to being broken at some point. A nipped tail just means a cagemate bit it off though, so it just detracts from the "prettiness" of the dragon. I've never quite understood why that lowers their value so much.

Grixxly15

Gray-bearded Member
Crinked could be from a attack on a cage mate however it was just never bit off, It just might be broken in some way. It could also be a side effect from inbreeding as well. A nip is definitely the tip of the tail is off. It does not negatively effect the bearded dragon (unless through breeding) other then not making it look as nice.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
My beardie has a crinked tail tip(as you called it). She had it when I got her as a baby. I think it may have been broken before I got her.She never displayed any discomfort from it, so I assumed she'd had it for a while.She is 5 yrs old now and of course still has her crinked tail.Like the other posters said the only thing bad(if you even want to call it that)is the appearance.I say get the beardie and look at the tail as being a unique feature and not some kind of a deformity.

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
Tail nips happen faster than you can imagine with several babies together. :( Nips do not affect the overall health of the dragon if properly treated to prevent infection. A crink, or kink in the tail is another matter, and while it may be the result of an improperly healed tail nip, it may also be a genetic defect, or a sign of Metabolic Bone Disease, MBD, due to insufficient UVB to metabolize calcium, both possible long term problems. Do you have a vet lined up, and does the seller guarantee the babies?

boxers

Hatchling Member
peera":16916 said:
I'm not sure about a "crinked" tail... could be caused by anything from inbreeding to being broken at some point. A nipped tail just means a cagemate bit it off though, so it just detracts from the "prettiness" of the dragon. I've never quite understood why that lowers their value so much.

At my work, if a reptile drops a tail, they are completely unsellable. They go into a back room until an associate adopts them.

Nasubi77

Sub-Adult Member
My beardie has a kinked tail. The explanation that her breeder gave was that the Mama dragon went on a hunger strike and had a lack of calcium while she was gravid, causing a couple of the hatchlings to have kinked tails.

I wouldn't say it's bad, and in fact, you may get a discount on the "defective" dragon. If they are otherwise healthy and happy, I say go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom