Price Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edricks

Gray-bearded Member
I've just spent the past 2 hours of my life (ok, well, of my work life) attempting to put together an aquarium/terrairium price guide, but damn are stores ever secretive about their prices! I know these stores carry aquariums! Why don't they list them and their prices on their website! So frustrating!

Anyway, finally I called one of the local, non-chain shops that specializes in fish (and attempts to specialize in reptiles, but to avoid getting into another "pet stores are the devil" rant, I won't touch on that) and got their prices on the most common tank sizes. In order to do a proper comparison, though, I need more data (MORE!) and short of calling every pet store I know of (which would be a pain in the butt, as well as drawing suspicion with how many times I'll have to say 'aquarium' on the phone in a financial office) I come here, the one stop spot for all things reptile... ish.

So~ if you would oblige me, please let me know:

1) What size is your aquarium
2) Where did you buy it? If it's a local store, private, non-chain store, just list it as local. I don't need a map X3 If you got it used, "used" will be fine.
3) How much was it?
4) When did you buy it (if not recently)

Hopefully I can get an accurate guide of which is cheaper, used or new, and where... (I have a hard time choking down that someone bought a 5gal for $120, as claimed on Craigslist).

Thank you!

Nicky

boxers

Hatchling Member
I work at Petsmart, sooo. :) I can help you out there.
However, we do not have a good variety of tanks. At all.

We have a 20 gal long here at home for Razual, it was $29.99
We got the screen lid separate (another $18).

In the Reptile Section at work, we have the specifically reptile tanks, which only differ in that they have a "locking lid" for a huge extra price.
Our 20 gal longs are $69.99, if I remember correctly.
The 40 gals are $99.99.

Back over in Fish, we carry a 40 gal breeder, which I think is 119 (or 189??), I can't remember and it is a huge difference, hmm.
But. I work Thursday and Friday night, so I can look for specifics if you want!

(The biggest tank we carry is one 75 gal in Fish, it's not very well proportioned for a beardie; it has good length and height, but the width seems kind of skinny.)

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
I bought a 75g tank (4 ft x 18 inches) at Petsmart about 3 years ago now, and it cost me $280-300 at the time. That included the flourescent light bar and glass canopy lid (some stores sell those separately). I was buying it because my old aquarium (the one randal lives in now) had sprung a leak.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
I have gotten a few good deals..
55 gallon aquarium - free from freecycle
40 gallon long, with the locking lid (which was a must!) for $80 I think.. from petco
75 gallon long, from mom & pop pet store for $150, with dual sliding screen top lids

We also got this really strange skinny but tall tank, we keep it on its side, though. It has a screen top plus doors on both sides.. we got it on craigs list for like $40, I think.. it also included a large heat lamp. The snake stays in this..

Just remember, prices will likely vary, even from the big box stores, depending on geography...

Youkai

Hatchling Member
I paid $129 for my 40g Breeder at a retail pet store.
They wanted $149, which brings me to my point... as long as you're polite about it...EVERYTHING is negotiable!!! Seriously...
Even major retail chains will usually flex on prices 80% of the time.

(I still got rooked on the price, but I feel better knowing I didn't pay what was on the sticker.. :lol: )

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
I bought a used 40 gal critter tank with lid for $35.00 and turned around and sold it for $40.00 after I cleaned it and decided I didn't like it. Went to Petco and bought a 40GB fish tank (better quality then the critter tank) for $99.00.

I have gotten great deals on craigslist for tanks. Two 40 gallon breeders with lids for $50 each. They look brand new. One even had new reptile carpet included. Three 55 gallon tanks with screen lids for $50 each. All look brand new. So far, craigslist has been the way to go for me.

slddgk

Ok - First I bought a 20 gallon Long from Petsmart, then I found a 55 gallon long (48"Lx13"Wx20"H) on craigslist for $10. Then as I was claning it up I decided I needed to reseal it - so I went to the local Aquarium shop to get silocone seal, and they had a 50 gallon wide (36"Lx18"Wx19"H) and she sold it to me for $10. So I am here to say --- if you look hard enough you can find anything for a cheap price.

ArchiesFamily

Juvie Member
I just did all that you are doing. Pain in the behind. I could not find anything worth while on Craigslist. Everyone thought their tank was lined in gold and asked for payment accordingly.

I ended up buying a 65 gallon (4'x18"x17" - l x w x h) new from http://www.glasscages.com I paid $231, or $236, which included the delivery to an aquarium store about 20 minutes from my home. This is a cage that has the sliding front doors. That price also includes the plain screen top.

I could have bought a new 40 gallon breeder tank (no sliding doors) for $120 from a local shop, but they were unable to find a hinged screen for me. We did buy a 20 gallon long at this same store for a baby tank and paid $20 plus $17 for a screen top with a hole in it, plus a few bucks for locking thingies.

Petsmart carries a 40 gallon breeder with a sliding screen top for $119 in our area.

Good luck on your search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom