Shaking with anger. Please help stop this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
I found a new pet store on my way home form uni and thought Id stop by as it advertised itself as a reptile dealer.
One side of the store - i was thrilled! They had a huge range of lights, dishes, live feeders, branches, leashes, hides. Everything you could ever want.

The other side was horrifying.
Multiple beardies being kept in smaller than 10gallon tanks (i think they were as small as 5gallon), beardies only being ONE inch away from their light fixtures (from the ground not evn from on top of a rock!!!) beardies being kept on TINY woodchippings which were in their food bowls and water bowls. There was poop all over the place. Even schmered onto the glass.

Im so angry and so worried about these reptiles Im going to report them to the RSPCA (our english animal cruelty prevention organisations).

The problem is I dont know if there is any actual legislation regarding the standards of care for reptiles?
All I can find so far is:
Protection of Animals Act 1911
Pet Animals Act 1951

Neither seem to state things like "must be 6 inches away fom lights" or the size viv etc.

I want to go in there with as much knowledge as I can because I dont want to be pushed aside as some silly woman who thinks she knows better than the pet store.

I was wondering if anyone knows anythign about the laws in the UK about these kinds of matters.
Id really appriciate any help you can give me.
Im still in a state of shock.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
I'm afraid I really can't help, but if it's that bad it should be a case of obvious animal cruelty, which should be covered even if there's nothing directly saying "Bearded dragons have to be kept in such-and-such a manner". If nothing else, the poop is a health hazard for them and humans alike, they could burn themselves on the lights, some of them may be injured from being kept in such tight quarters (which even to the untrained eye, multiple dragons in a 5 gallon tank is ludicris)... etc, etc... I really hope something can be done, and that you asked to speak to the person in charge and gave them an earful!!!!!!

MarianaL87

Hatchling Member
Very sorry you had to witness that...I know how it feels to feel helpless and without a voice.

I volunteer with a breeder close to home and i too have to see things that i dont want too. Things that a breeder should know so much better against. Ive seen lightbulbs smeared in blood in those small cages you spoke of - i can imagine what happened for a beardies blood to get on it. Its really hard to see..

what shop is that i will hav a look online then i will report it to rspa [asap] if they need new homes well... some of us could take em in

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Its called Hull Pets and Gardens on beverley road in Hull (North-East England)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom