Just bought 2 beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasouopa

hi guys just boiught two beardies about 6 inches long about maybe alittl e more... bought them from a reptile store over here and they are brother and sister from what i was told.
is it ok if i house them together? will anything happen. im always ontop of their food so they dont snap at eachother...

and also the reptile store guy gave me a uvb light and idk if it is good enough...maybe u can help with some tips or if i should keep it ... here is the link of what the lgiht is.
http://www.petco.com/product/14564/...e-Fixture-with-Desert-7-percent-UVB-Lamp.aspx

they are also sitting in a temporary 10 gal tank which is getting switched to a 40 gal. so an info would help.

ty
please help me out...

peera

Sub-Adult Member
No, sorry, it's not ok to house them together. Dragons are solitary creatures and don't like sharing their territory. Eventually one will start to dominate the other and hurt them, and even if they act ok with each other for a few months, you don't want them breeding once they reach that age.

Return the light and get the ReptiSun 10.0 off of petmountain.com. It's the best, others can hurt their eyes.

We can help you more with more info, pet stores are, unfortunatly, unreliable at best for good, safe information.

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

Read the care sheets linked at the top of the forum and just browse around the threads. There's a lot of helpful info and people here. Enjoy your new babies!

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
I second this.
Please do seperate them as soon as you can.

It is highly likely that as they grow one will become the dominant and the other will not thrive. Beardies can be pleasent one day and attack eachother the next.
My little one is a rescue from a tank of multiple dragons. She is missing a hand and a foot due to attacks.

I know may be frustrating, because most pet stores will promise you that having two beardies together is no problem at all. But you really must separate them if you want them to live a happy healthy life.

chels1983

If you are switching to the 40 gallon soon, you may want to get a MVB light: they provide heat and uv with just one bulb. The tank has to be 40g or larger or the bulb will overheat it.I have a T-rex Active UV Heat Flood 100 watt http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=435
A lot of people on this forum also use Megaray, their bulb is very similar to T-rex (and I have heard by some that its better, but I will stick with the T-rex :) )

They are more expensive than the tube lights, BUT they last a year instead of 6 months or less like the tubes. Also, you dont have to buy a UV light fixture (but you will need a deep dome fixture, because the lights are pretty big)

I would recommend either those lights or the Reptisun 10 as peera said. Either one is a good option.

Check craigslist for another tank, I got both of mine relatively cheap from there!

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Nope, can't keep them together. For one, since they are brother and sister you don't want them to mate - inbreeding is bad - and there's no way for you to stop that from happening except by keeping them housed in separate tanks. There are also other issues such and dominance and stress to contend with. It'd be best all around to keep them in two different enclosures.

I've never heard anything good about the ESU brand of UVB lights. If you want, you can keep the fixture (its only the bulb that's junk) and put a ReptiSUN 10.0 bulb in it instead (make sure there's no plastic or glass between the bulb and your dragon).

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Thats wonderful.
Thank you for doing the right thing for your dragons.

Im not familiar with strip lights however so hopefully someone else can help you with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom