eating sand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhiland

hey guys i put a sandbox in my dragons box a few days ago and he did not pay much attention to it but today i walked by i saw that he was in it and looked like he was diging (there was sand all over the place) but as a looked closer he was just eating it, its just plain old childs play sand deadly scale dieing death sand hehe why would he do this?

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
he might be curious and is tasting it to see or find out what it is. Dragons cant really use their hands to hold something and go oh this is sand, if he continues to eat it i would remove it, it can cause impaction.

rhiland

Original Poster
all right lol i had taken out the box and he started eating what had spilled on the tile ill see what he does when i put it back in

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would suggest you not put it back in, since he is eating it, it is a big impaction risk. Would be a good idea to give him frequent baths and massaging his right side from armpit to vent. If you feel any hardened areas, massage in a gentle circular motion to see if you can move it closer to the vent area to help him pass it. How old is your beardie?

rhiland

Original Poster
ahh he is about 6-8 months old i dont belive he ate very much but ill see how he fairs the next few days the dope looked like he threw sand all over the place then decidd to start munching on some ill has to feel his belly :puke:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, at that age, it's still the licking stage. If he was eating it in front of you, he was probably eating it when you weren't around too. You didn't put the sand back in, did you?

rhiland

Original Poster
no the sand is not back in and i gave him a bath as much as he hated it (he hates his baths, almost a fight to the death) he was in there about 15-20 mins just staring at me trying to escape finaly pooped in his water ill make to to give him another one befor bed, that is if i can catch him he is hiding in his cave giving me the evil stink eye right now

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
When you give a bath, do you put a wash cloth down in the bottom to keep him from sliding around so he can feel more secure? Is the water warm and tested by the inside of your wrist? Do you put enough water in to cover his front legs? Also, putting your hand in the water so he can hang on to it if he wants really helps too. All our beardies love their baths and did as babies, so just offering you some tips.
That's good that he had a poop hopefully he got at least some of the sand out.

rhiland

Original Poster
my hands are always in there the spoiled brat just tries to climb up them and its not all that hot ill have to try the bath cloth and my other younger baby does not like the baths ither

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It actually shouldn't feel hot at all, should only feel warm. If it feels too hot or too cold to them, they will surely try their hardest to climb right out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom